Forum Discussion

Rob74
Level 4
8 years ago

Read tape netbackup version

Can you read a Netbackup tape regardless of version? or must the version match that of the server that wrote the tape?  The catalog for the dates in question I am looking for are already expired, and as this date is before we upgraded to NBU7.6.x I am trying to recover the catalog.

Backstory, trying to recover a cold catalog without knowing the version it was written with.  so far I have gotten errors on both NBU 6.5 and 6.5.6 trying to read the tape.

bash-3.2# bpimport -drfile XXXXL3 -drfile_dest /var/tmp
Import phase 1 started Wed Sep 28 13:15:49 2016
INF - Create DB information for media id XXXXL3.
INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id XXXXL3 was successful.
INF - Status = cannot read media header, may not be NetBackup media or is corrupted.

INF - Consult the Activity Monitor for more information about this job.

• Cold catalog recovery was done with commands such as 'bprecover -l .....' to list what is on the tape and 'bprecover -r .... ' to recover.

I don't have these old manuals to help with rest of command usage.

There are also certain NBU processes that must be down for cold catalog recovery.
    You really need to locate a 6.x Troubleshooting Guide.

Have you turned back the date on the master where you are trying to recover catalog? Otherwise all recovered images will expire the moment NBU is started.

5 Replies

• Catalog Recovery must be same version.

Client backups import can read any version.

"INF - Status = cannot read media header, may not be NetBackup media or is corrupted"

looks like a bad tape

• Why do you want to recover an old catalog?
    Why not rather import the actual backup tapes?

One more thing - 'bpimport -drfile ' is for importing hot catalog backup.
    Procedure to recover from cold catalog tape is covered in Troubleshooting Guide of NBU versions up to 6.5.
    These manuals are no longer available online.
      Rob74
      Level 4

I was trying to recover the catalog tapes so I could get 6 months of catalog data, and not just 1 week.  Also I wanted to avoid reading 60+ tapes that were sent offsite that week.  The only data I have is what that they were doing cold cataloging at the time, and what tapes were sent offsite that week.  I performed a 6.x to 7.x in about 2012 but a request for data prior to my hire in 2010 when the retension was set to 6 months has been made.  I was hoping to recover the catalog on a test system to have 6 months worth of data for restores of data back in 2010. 

Marianne
        Level 6
        Cold catalog recovery was done with commands such as 'bprecover -l .....' to list what is on the tape and 'bprecover -r .... ' to recover.

I don't have these old manuals to help with rest of command usage.

There are also certain NBU processes that must be down for cold catalog recovery.
        You really need to locate a 6.x Troubleshooting Guide.

Have you turned back the date on the master where you are trying to recover catalog? Otherwise all recovered images will expire the moment NBU is started.