Level 4
13 years ago

Reinstall Netbackup system

Hello,

my company using Veritas Netbackup 7.1 with:

1 Windows 2008 master server

2 Windows 2008 mediaserver

1 Solaris Sprarc 10 U8 mediaserver

Now, because our Netbackup system has too many error. I want to reinstall Netbackup software (version 7.5) on all servers. What can i do to restore our old backups by new system. Can anyone give me a guide?

Thanks very much,

Nguyen

•  May be the error is Tape Drive come from wrong config in old system. I know that something wrong but i can not find this. So i reinstall and config a new one. And problem is resolve. 

Not the best solution, but we need the system finish setup and config for deadline. Ofcouse the old backup will be lose. But that's not critical in our case

Thanks everyone for helping me :) 

7 Replies

• You can only restore back to the version you started with.

So you would have to reinstall at 7.1, recover the catalog, and then upgrade to 7.5.

The Troubleshooting Guide found on this link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154178

Explains how to run a catalog recovery.

You must have a hot catalog full backup taken before you start.

Regards,

martin

• Can you plz let us know about "because our Netbackup system has too many error"

what errors ??

why you think that re-installation will fix the errors ?

• Here's our system main error:

1. After restart netbackup service, the master server cannot detect tape library. System show error network protocol (39). But after 30-40 minutes, it usual work normally. 

2. Sometimes when i double click to a device (robots, drives), system show EMM error, but sometime it work normally

3. All media servers in Host properties tab can be connect, but in Devices, their state is offline, not active for tape and disk. And i must backup everything by master server. I tried to restart netbackup services on master server and media server but nothing changed.

I think reinstall will help to fix them, because our devices and network have no problem.

Regards,

• NetBackup re-install will not fix this.

Please remember that in 99.9% of cases NetBackup is reporting errors, not causing it...

Unless you have something in a TN or Release Notes saying that your specific problem will be fixed in a new version, there is no guarantee that a new installation will make your problems go aways...

Simply ugrade your NBU servers (not re-install) to make use of new features, not in the hope that problems will disappear...

For your current error, look in Troubleshooting Guide under Media Manager errors for logs that are needed to troubleshoot the MM status code 39.

NBU Status Codes Reference Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3685

• "I think reinstall will help to fix them, because our devices and network have no problem"

Really ???

After restart netbackup service, the master server cannot detect tape library. System show error network protocol (39)

1.  After restart, can the operating system detect the library ?  I susppect it will not, which will mean a reinstall of NBU will actually make no difference.

How is the library connected to the server ?

2)  Depends on the error  - I'm guessing it's a corba error ?

3)  On one of the meda servers that is not active, what happens if you run :

nbemmcmd -listhosts

(nbemmcmd is in netbackup>bin>admincmd )

So based on this info, these issues are likely to be commns based, which in turn is likely to be network or dns/ name resolution issues.

NBU reinstall will not fix this.

Martin

•  May be the error is Tape Drive come from wrong config in old system. I know that something wrong but i can not find this. So i reinstall and config a new one. And problem is resolve. 

Not the best solution, but we need the system finish setup and config for deadline. Ofcouse the old backup will be lose. But that's not critical in our case

Thanks everyone for helping me :)