Forum Discussion

Alun
Level 4
10 years ago

Resetting data expiration for all images on a tape

I was looking for information regarding extending the retention of data on a large number of tapes and came across this article where the final poster suggests that changing the expiration date of an image on a tape will affect all of the images on that tape, is this the case and is it the same behaviour if I extend the expiration date of the tape itself?

Thanks,

Alun.

• I dont think "-force" is required. To confirm, I tested the below in a test env and it worked

1. bpexpdate -backupid <backupID> -d dd/mm/yyyy, only that image will be changed.
    2. bpexpdate -m BARCODE -d dd/mm/yyyy, all images on the tape will be set to expire at that time.

5 Replies

• No. Changing the expiration date of an image on a tape will not affect the rest of the images on that tape.

But if you change the expiry date of the tape, all the images will be affected and the expiry date will be changed for all the images on that particular tape.

• Hi Mux,

So if I have a tape with 10 inages on it and I run

1. bpexpdate -backupid SERVER_CTIME -d dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss -force, only that image will be changed.
    2. bpexpdate -m BARCODE -d dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss -force, all images on the tape will be set to expire at that time.

That makes sense, only 380 more tapes left to do...

• I dont think "-force" is required. To confirm, I tested the below in a test env and it worked

1. bpexpdate -backupid <backupID> -d dd/mm/yyyy, only that image will be changed.
    2. bpexpdate -m BARCODE -d dd/mm/yyyy, all images on the tape will be set to expire at that time.
  • Hi Alun, this is correct . 1st one will only change the retention of that particular image & 2nd one will change retention for the all images in that media.

The only effected thing will be media management, like your media have 5 images of same retention & sent to offsite , it will come back after expiry of renetion of backup data & will become scratch tape in netbackup.

But if of those 5 images, you have increased the retention of 1 image, that image will expire at defined time & untill that images expires that media will not become scratch tape.