Forum Discussion

Seburau
Level 3
7 years ago

Restore after disk pool crash

I've lost deduplication disk pool (RAID group crash). The system disk is OK. I've built new RAID group and mount it to server. Now I can't see catalog, policies, clients and etc. There was a policy for catalog backup to tape. I tried recover the catalogs wizards, but I have not disaster recovery file. I see a media in CatalogBackup pool. How can I restore the catalog, policies and etc from tape?

I have tried import image but in results page I see "Import not allowed. cannot connect on socket (25)".

What additional Information can I provide?

14 Replies

• I tried this command on master server:

nbu-s1:~ # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -pn
    nbu-s1:~ #

But I not see expected information. Any ideas?

• There is something very wrong here - loss of dedupe pool should NOT result in loss of your catalogs, unless your NBU catalogs were configured on the same drive letter / location as the dedupe pool. 
    This goes against every single NBU document.

If you added email notification to NBU Catalog policy, you will have emails that contain all relevant info for Catalog recovery - The media-id that was used, the steps for Catalog recovery plus the DR-file as attachment.
    Dr-file should also be stored on a different volume or network share so that the DR-file is not lost when catalogs are lost.

You can recreate a DR-file using this TN: 
    https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100037884

Seburau
      Level 3

Thank you Marianne for answer.

This Configuration was done by other person. I cannot reach him now. Dedup pool was configured to folder /dedup. Is /usr/openv/netbackup/db usually catalog folder? /usr/openv/netbackup/db was a symbol link to folder /dedup/db. So I have lost /usr/openv/netbackup/db too.

I have not receive any notifications from this system.

Now there is volume pool "CatalogBackup". And there is one volume in this volume pool. I hope this volume contains backup of the catalog.

I have tried to recreate DR-file:

nbu-s1:~ # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -drfile -id 7012L6 -drfile_dest /usr/openv/netbackup/dr
      import not allowed: cannot connect on socket (25)
      import not allowed: cannot connect on socket (25)

Marianne
        Level 6

/usr/openv/netbackup/db was a symbol link to folder /dedup/db. So I have lost /usr/openv/netbackup/db too.

Worst possible mistake.... Hope you have not paid this guy.....  
        Email notification must be configured - it does not happen automatically.

Please check if all NBU daemons/processes are running:

bpps -x 

• import not allowed. Cannot connect on socket (25)

Looking at this error I would say that you seem to have nbac configured on the master server.. Are you sure catalog, policies are actually missing and not something like within nbac configuration or auth.conf settings your user does not have sufficient rights to list stuff..

Do you see any folders present under the netbackup\db\class folder and in netbackup\db\images folder
      Seburau
      Level 3

Thank you Amol_Nair for your answer.

I have root permissions for this server.

nbu-s1:~ # ls -al /usr/openv/netbackup/db
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Июл 22 2015 /usr/openv/netbackup/db -> /dedup/db

nbu-s1:~ # ls -al /dedup/db
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 96 Май 14 11:01 .
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 96 Май 11 17:28 ..
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 Май 15 14:59 discovery
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2 Май 11 17:34 IDIRSTRUCT
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 96 Май 11 17:34 images
      drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 96 Май 11 18:05 jobs

nbu-s1:~ # ls -al /dedup/db/images/
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 96 Май 11 17:34 .
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 96 Май 14 11:01 ..