Forum Discussion

spider328
Level 4
8 years ago

Service Account being locked out periodically

The service account we are using to access vCenter is being locked out periodically. Active Directory would unlock the account after 30 minutes but it would get locked out again causing our VMWare backups to fail.

I am sure the credentials are good since some backups are succeeding. 

NBU showing 4243 errors but looking at vCenter, it shows "A user attempted to log in with an unknown or invalid username". 

If you can point me in a direction that would enable me to dig further into the issue that would be great. We will be trying to create a new service account and delete/re-add the credentials and will see if those work. But if anybody has seen this issue, appreciate your feedback.

Our NBU is on 7.7.3 and we just moved to vCenter 6.0. 

Thanks much.

spider328
    8 years ago

We actually changed from using the short domain name (domain/serviceAccount) and instead use the the FQDN (domain.com/serviceAccount).

After the changed, vmware backups started working consistently.

Thanks so much for the inputs.

• Hi, spider328, I understood, in my environment I use the FQDN ( domain.com\ServiceAccount). Take a look this part from Veritas NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide 7.7.3. Is recommended by Veritas uses the full qualified names when for VMware.

8 Replies