-matt-
Level 4
13 years ago

SLP- Backup & Duplication priority

Master:  NBU 7.1, AIX 5.3
5220 Appliance - Local
5220 Appliance - Remote

Hi,

I have a policy that backs up ALL LOCAL DRIVES on a client that has 2 x local drives.
When the policy runs it creates 3 streams to include the shadow copy components directive.

The SLP dictates that the backup should run to the local 5220, followed by a duplication to the remote 5220.
The policy has a job priority of 100 and the duplication priority in the SLP is 0.

I'm finding that when just one stream completes the backup, a duplication of that streams image kicks in even though the parent backup job and the two remaining streams are running.

How can I ensure that the duplication occurs only after the whole backup job has completed?

Thanks,

Matt

• In a nutshell, you can't.

SLP will duplicate completed images, there is no way to be 'selective'.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted to hear.

You can configure a selected amont of timings, for example, if it normally checks for duplicats every 30 mins, you could change this to every 1 hr (which might give the jobs a chance to finish), but this is hit and miss, as it depends when you start counting the 1 hr from.

The only real option is to deactivate the SLP (the backups will still run).

The SLP will then catch up when it is re-enabled.

Martin

4 Replies

• In a nutshell, you can't.

SLP will duplicate completed images, there is no way to be 'selective'.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted to hear.

You can configure a selected amont of timings, for example, if it normally checks for duplicats every 30 mins, you could change this to every 1 hr (which might give the jobs a chance to finish), but this is hit and miss, as it depends when you start counting the 1 hr from.

The only real option is to deactivate the SLP (the backups will still run).

The SLP will then catch up when it is re-enabled.

Martin

• Unfortunally there is no SLP Scheduling they start soonest the backup is done after the NBSTSERV fetching and batching finishes, they only way to control this is inactivating the images with a script and honestly is not easy to handle, other way to do it is to set the destination STU's or DSSU's to 0 so nothing will run over there until is enable lets say a cron job at 5PM to set this to 0 and another one at 7AM to set roll them back, you will face some failures with this but at least you will control your duplications window.

hope this helps.

regards.

• Thanks Martin.  Was concerned about disk contention during the backup.  Will investigate delaying the duplications.

• No problem Matt.

I really really don't like SLPs being disabled.  It is not how it is designed to work.  If you have 'disk contention' then the system is not suitably designed for SLP, and this should be fixed.

Sorry, but I am from the old school of designing things to work the way they should - please don't take offenence ...

One question, if you leave it as it is - does it acually cause you an issue ?

Martin