Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Suspend and resume Jobs

Hi
I am running 5.1MP4 on Solaris 8 and have a save through a firewall   to a Solaris 8 client which usually runs about 30 to 40 KB/sec, and takes forever.
I read somewhere that this speed is determined when the save starts as part of the connection process between server and client. Is this true?
Also that if I Suspend and Resume the job from the GUI this can improve the speed. But when I right click on the job, the Resume and  Suspend are Grey'ed out. Do I need something extra to see these options?

Thanks

• I believe checkpoint restarts must be enabled in order to use the suspend/resume option. An attribute of the policy, it may be set to a desired length of time, default 15 mins.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I believe checkpoint restarts must be enabled in order to use the suspend/resume option. An attribute of the policy, it may be set to a desired length of time, default 15 mins.
  •  
    How to configure a checkpoint restart and its options

Details:
    How to configure a Checkpoint restart and its options Checkpoint restart for backups is only supported for file system backup. It is only supported for UNIX (policy type standard) and Microsoft Windows (policy type MS-Windows-NT). Netware (standard policy) is not supported. Other job types are not supported such as catalog backup, duplication, Vault, import, synthetic backup, and network data management protocol (NDMP) backups. To use the checkpoint restart feature, you should be familiar with four definitions: Suspended  = job state resulting when an administrator suspends (pauses) a job from queued or active states Incomplete  = a job state that results when a backup job fails (when a backup policy has checkpoint restart enabled) Resume     = the manual act of continuing an incomplete or suspended backup or restore Restart      = the act of re-initiating a job that is in the done state To configure Checkpoint restart This feature is disabled by default (in each backup policy). You can enable the feature by opening the policy and selecting the option "Checkpoint restart every" and select the check point time interval (in minutes). The default is 15 minutes. The interval range is from 5 to 180 minutes. The interval value is how frequently VERITAS NetBackup (tm) takes checkpoints during a backup.   Other options available with Checkpoint restart In theGlobal Attributes you will have the option to select Move backup job from incomplete state to done state and Move restore jobs from incomplete state to done state.   More information is available in the System Administrators Guide Volume 1 for NetBackup 5.0.

Products Applied: NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.0, 5.0 MP1