Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Taking Backup of Client/Media server 8.3 with Net backup master server 7.6

Hi everyone,

We have a big backup environment with a 7.6 solaris10 master server. I understand that we are not able to take Exchange 2019 backup with lower (client/media) version than 8.x so I installed Media server 8.3 on Exchange 2019 and tried taking backup with my low version master server 7.6 and it worked! my question is if anyone has any idea about this situation and is there any risk to keep up with this situation, with lower master server agent than client?

P.S.  we are not able to upgrade our master server at this time.

Thank you 

21 Replies

• Hi,

When I had try it with a 7.6 server and a 8.2 client it was a big failure as for 8.2 (and 8.3) you have to install the master certificate.  But 8.2 was new back then, so maybe I was wrong.

My experience using clients with bigger version than the master is that you will have no problem as the backup is working.

BUT
    I do not have experience with 8.x clients in older environments and the biggest problem is support. If something goes wrong you will find no help.

I suggest you to create a new netbackup environment, if you can not upgrade the current master. At least until you upgrade.

quebek

Hello

My take would be this is blind luck it is working - btw did you try to restore? having backups does not mean you are able to restore. Also let me quote from sort.vertias.com about upgrade:

"

• For compatibility between major versions, the latest available release of NetBackup is compatible with media servers and clients that run a release of NetBackup that is up to one major version behind. However, this compatibility ceases to be supported in any configuration once the previous major version has reached its End of Support Life.
        For information on Veritas End of Life Policy, refer to https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116439

• NetBackup does not support any scenario where a media server or client runs a software release update version that is higher than that of their Master server.
        For more information, refer to the NetBackup Release Notes and the NetBackup Upgrade Guide: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116412

"

So if you will face any, any even tiny issue with this env - Vertias support will wash their hands and point you to above - my take.

support2015
        Level 4

Thanks for your great notes. Actually I haven't tried to restore this backup yet. I will do it and let you know the result.

support2015
      Level 4

Thanks for your quick response. Didn't you have any issue in restoration or in you catalog backup after taking client/media with lower master server version?