Forum Discussion

ipmanyak
Level 5
9 years ago

Trouble with tape drive

Hello.

I have standalone tape drive ( not a library) HP StorageWorks LTO-5 Ultrium 3280  SAS.

For the last 7 days it requested the cleaning cartridge of 5 times.

This tape drive  works more than 5 years and writes on a tape for 15 hours every day.

What happened?   

The resource of head  ended? Or a head so strongly became soiled that the cleaning cartridge helps not for a long time?

1. What to do ? 

My backups can't successfully finished.

2. I have another  standalone tape drive ( not a library) HP StorageWorks LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS.

Now it isn't connected to my server.

How to step by step to enter this device into operation and to reassign all tape pools on it?

Software  Symantec Netbackup Enrerpise version 7.5.0.6 ( Windows 2003 )

• if a tape drive starts to ask for cleaning tape again and again, or the drive has a problem or there is a problematic tape.

If the previous days the same tape was used, change the tape as first troubleshooting step. It is better to test the drive with a new tape.

if you need to change the tape drive, do the following.

• write down the density of the faulty drive (hcart or hcart2 or hcart3)
    • delete the old tape drive from netbackup, and disconnect it from the server
    • connect the new drive to the server and check that it is viewable from the OS. (install driver if required)
    • run the device installation wizard from the netbackup GUI and configure the drive to netbackup
    • check the density of the new drive and, if need it, correct the density to match the density of the faulty drive ( from media and device management -> devices -> drives, right click and select properties).
    • no other steps needed. Run a backup to test the drive.
  • With standalone tape drives you do not have to mount the tape that is requested, instead you can load any tape wihich is writeable - i.e. any tape in the same pool as being requested, of the same retention (assuming mixed retentions is not enabled), which still has space, which is not write-locked - or instead is a scratch tape from the ScratchPool.

If you want A00006 to cease being requested, then just delete volume A00006, or create a new pool named 'BadMedia' and manually assign A00006 to the 'BadMedia' pool.

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion