Forum Discussion

SteveDown
Level 5
9 years ago

Unable to find and restore data I know is on tape

Hi all,

I have recently duplicated a load of LTO2 tapes onto LTO6, all of which were successfully completed. However, now that I'd like to restore this data I'm not seeing all of the Backup ID's that I know should be there. I can see some of the Backup ID's, but there should be a lot more available. All of the initial import and duplication logs show success during those procedures so I know the data is sitting on the LTO6 tape, I just can't find it. I've tried importing the LTO6 tape(s) to see if that presents the Backup ID's, but no luck.

Cheers,

Steve

• They are not vanishing, they are very probably expiring naturally. Because... duplicated images inherit the original backup date PLUS the original retention period... which is probably already in the past. I would suggest that when you duplicate, that you choose a new retention period such that the original backup date plus the new retention period equal a date in the future, and this will stop the new copy from expiring when (every 12 hours) an auto expiry is run. However, the original copy will still expire if you don't extend the expiry date of the original/source copy number which is being duplicated. Also, remember that when duplicating, if you choose the new copy to be the new primary, then this does not necessarily mean that the next copy will be any particular copy number - i.e. copy number 1 is not synonymous with primary copy. When duplicating images, the copy number of the new copy (whether primary or not) will be the first free copy number.

20 Replies