Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Unable to write to EMC DD

All of the jobs are failing with an 2074 error. All of my research points to 'Storage Pool' problems. I do not have any Storage Pools defined. Just one Storage Unit.

Here is the result of the only command that I have found that relates to a BasicDisk Storage Unit

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdevquery -liststs -U
Storage Server      : scfmfts001.ad.dcf.state.fl.us
Storage Server Type : BasicDisk
Storage Type        : Formatted Disk, Direct Attached
State               : UP
Flag                : AdminUp
Flag                : InternalUp
Flag                : SpanImages
Flag                : BasicStaging
Flag                : FragmentImages
Flag                : CatalogBackup
Flag                : Cpr
Flag                : RandomWrites
Flag                : FT-Transfer

The state is always UP, the error is always DOWN.

2/18/2015 7:43:38 AM - Error nbjm(pid=2480) NBU status: 2074, EMM status: Disk volume is down Disk volume is down(2074)

Am I missing something that is so obvious I can not see it?

Ed

• Found this while browsing :

GENERAL ERROR: NetBackup marks BasicDisk storage units which have Windows UNC pathnames as DOWN.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58780

20 Replies

• Sorry Ed, your posts were held in briefly moderation - I've published them now and apologize for the delay.

Best,
    Cheryl

• You can try this

Media and Device Management - Device Monitor - disk pools tab at the bottom of the page - UP the disk pool by right clicking on it

from this old thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/datadomain-storage-server-down-backups-failing-code-213

== or CLI ==

nbdevconfig -changestate -stype BasicDisk -dp EMC-DD -state UP

( pretty sure that is CASE-sensitive )

• That pane is empty. There are no 'devices' like I am accusomed to. Tape Drives, Robots, Changers. All I have is a Storage Unit with the CIFS.

I have no disk pools either, just one poor, little, lonely storage unit. I can read and write to it from the OS but it is not reflected anywhere in the device manager.

I was accustomed to the 'if the system does not see it, nb can not write to it'. But that was talking about physical devices. I just have the BasicDisk.

• Ah right, sorry, with BasicDisk you won't see it there in the GUI.  Try the CLI command. 

• Found this while browsing :

GENERAL ERROR: NetBackup marks BasicDisk storage units which have Windows UNC pathnames as DOWN.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58780

• Nicolai has identified the problem!
    (missing the 'thumbs up' button... )

The NBU services on the media server must have write permission on the UNC path.
    (See TECH58780 for details)

• I had run the command line and it reported success. Then I ran the query and it still shows as down.

• Therein lays the rub. The Data Domain is not in our Active Directory Domain and I do not have administrative rights to it. Not that I would know what to do with it if I did. I can read/write to the UNC with my credentials. It is my understanding that anything coming from the IP address of the server can write to the UNC.

I guess I could write a quick and dirty program that rights to the UNC and run it under the system credentails and see what happens.

Very puzzling.

Ed

• Everyone, Thank you, this was a major thorn in my side that has been removed.

Nicolia: You're the best, your knowledge and or google-foo is second to none!

Ed