Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Updating NetBackup Client on Server

Running NBU 7.5.0.7 on RHEL 6.3.  Started with a base install of 7.1, then to 7.1.0.4, then 7.5, then 7.5.0.7.  The initial install and update completed without issue, so I went through the 7.5 and eventually the 7.5.0.7 updates.  Through all the processes I've installed the server and client software on the master server, but somewhere along the way the client stopped updating on the master server at 7.1.0.4.  Pushing the client to Linux servers pushes out version 7.1.0.4.  Symantec support suggests that I need to update the binaries on the server but their link doesn't provide the correct information.

Could someone reference the correct install, upgrade, admin guide that covers this?  Thank you in advance.

• Have a look at the Client type in the policy. That is the version that the master will look for under /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>.

You can also list Client versions with: 
    bpplclients -allunique

To find a specific client, do:
    bpplclients -allunique | grep <client-name>

If  Linux, RedHat2.6 is listed, you should be able to update the policy by re-selecting Client type as Linux, RedHat2.6.18.

The cat version shows NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 7.5

You will have to re-install the 7.5.0.7 Client patch with a 'force-install' option (-p).
    Run '
    /bin/sh NB_update.install -p

So, to summarize: 

1. Update Client type in policy
    2. Re-install 7.5.0.7 Client patch 
    (with -p option)
    3. Verify patch version in 
    /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>.
    4. Push updated client patch to client(s).

9 Replies

• are you using the update_clients command to push the netbackup software to clients?

• go to below location and check the version file in Master server or from the server that you run the upgrade..

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>

and see the file Version , make sure it latest version avaliable..

cat version

if the version file does not have that.. it indicates that your master server does not have latest binaries to push the clients and it only have 7.1.0.4.

in this case you need to extract the client bundle 7.5.0.7again in the master server to get them placed..for the required OS

• Interesting.  The cat version shows NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 7.5, but the server has been patched to 7.5.0.7 and the client install pushes 7.1.0.4.  When you say "get them placed", is this the standard client install process, or is there another Symantec or Linux command for this?  Thanks.

• The client type probably changed between 7.1 and 7.5 - for instance, what was a "Linux/RedHat2.6" client in 7.1 is now a "Linux/RedHat.2.6.18" client in 7.5 (which you did find in your post above this one).  The "old" directory will stick around with 7.1.0.4, but what you NEED is in the "new" directory.  You didn't really specify which Operating System(s) was/were on your affected clients, but RedHat2.6 is a fine example - check out the "client selections for backup policies" section of the Operating Systems Compatibility List for others and see if you may have been victim to a client OS name change:

NetBackup 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
     http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

See pages 56-61.

Now...how do you FIX it?  Erm....not sure, actually.  :)  I want to say "fresh install of 7.5 clients after redefining them using the '7.5' OS" but somebody here might have a better idea, or have gone through this themselves, or know a neat trick with symbolic links, or...

• i guess the version file in clients folder does not show the OS

did you check the version file in the below location

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>

these clieint folders will get updated when you extract/install the client patch on the master server.

if they are not, you can copy them from the client patch that you have or from any other server that is having these updated files..

• Have a look at the Client type in the policy. That is the version that the master will look for under /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>.

You can also list Client versions with: 
    bpplclients -allunique

To find a specific client, do:
    bpplclients -allunique | grep <client-name>

If  Linux, RedHat2.6 is listed, you should be able to update the policy by re-selecting Client type as Linux, RedHat2.6.18.

The cat version shows NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 7.5

You will have to re-install the 7.5.0.7 Client patch with a 'force-install' option (-p).
    Run '
    /bin/sh NB_update.install -p

So, to summarize: 

1. Update Client type in policy
    2. Re-install 7.5.0.7 Client patch 
    (with -p option)
    3. Verify patch version in 
    /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/<OS version>.
    4. Push updated client patch to client(s).

• Now that I had some time to circle back, it makes sense.  Symantec Support suggested that during the install it should've prompted to update this.  Here is their workaround  from one of their Linux gurus.

- navigate to /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux
    - rename the RedHat2.6 to RedHat2.6_old
    - create a soft shortcut to the RedHat2.6.18
    - test a push to a single client

Tested a single push successfully.

• It will also work if Clients have RedHat2.6.18 as Client Type in the policies.
    update_clients uses this field when deciding what to push to clients.
    I have in my 15 years with NBU never seen a prompt to update Client version.
    I have seen that when Client type in Policy was updated, a ForceInstall switch was necessary:  
    update_clients failure

Please remember to check NBU version of RedHat2.6.18 folder to ensure that it is latest patch level.