Forum Discussion

Brits
Level 6
10 years ago

Use Netbackup Master server as Media server

Hi Team, 

Can you please help to know what steps I need to follow to use my master server as a media server also?

Netbackup 7.6.0.3 , OS type - Windows 2012 

Regards

Brits

• An NBU master server can already perform media server duties, you just need to present the storage (disk and/or tape storage) to the master server's OS, then use the NBU Device Config Wizard to create storage units.

Note that your master server *may* be virtualized, but if you need to access tape drives from this server, it will have to be moved to a physical box.  Tape drives are not supported in virtual environments.  Disk storage units are supported in virtual environments, though, so you can still use a virtualized master/media server combo to write to disk.

If you have a smaller environment, this setup is acceptable.  As the backup environment gets bigger, though, the master server is best left to be just a master server, as the extra I/O and resources will be needed to maintain the NBU database and scheduling duties. 

4 Replies

• An NBU master server can already perform media server duties, you just need to present the storage (disk and/or tape storage) to the master server's OS, then use the NBU Device Config Wizard to create storage units.

Note that your master server *may* be virtualized, but if you need to access tape drives from this server, it will have to be moved to a physical box.  Tape drives are not supported in virtual environments.  Disk storage units are supported in virtual environments, though, so you can still use a virtualized master/media server combo to write to disk.

If you have a smaller environment, this setup is acceptable.  As the backup environment gets bigger, though, the master server is best left to be just a master server, as the extra I/O and resources will be needed to maintain the NBU database and scheduling duties. 

• thanks a lot Caplinger.

So its not required to install media server again after installing the master server. Once Master server installation completes , it will work as Media server also ..is it right ?

( I am new to netbackup so just wanted to be sure).

Regards

Brits

• That's correct, you don't need to reinstall anything.  The server installation includes the master, media server, and client binaries.  You just need to present the storage to the server at this point.