Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Veritas backup log file

Hi All,

I installed Windows 2003 Servers and some Microsoft applications such as Exchange / SharePoint / ISA / OCS / Domain controller . My servers are host in external data center. 

We have installed Net Backupversion 6.0+ Application agent for all the Windows servers.

I don’t not have any permission to master backup server. datacenter guys managing the master server. they used to take all the servers system state and application backup.

i want to know is it possible to check the backup status , whether data has been backed up or not. 

for example : SQL manually i can check the database last backed up date. i want to check Active Directory/ISA/Exchange Backup status.

If anyone know how to check please let me know. as i told you i don't have permission to access the master server. i want to know possible to check the Client side.

Need support form backup expertise

• You can see files in a backup by using the GUI (again) or use bplist. bplist is a little tricky to use. See some examples at : http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/75-bplist-a-handy-tool-for-the-netbackup-admin.html

There is no easy to read log on the client as of what files is being ignored. You can create a directory called bpbkar in [install_path]\netbackup\logs. This will write debug log info, but it require some expertise to understand what's going on. Ignored files/skipped files -  you really need access to the master server console. Maybe you can arrange that information being mailed from the master server ?.

5 Replies

•  

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for your reply, it's very useful information for me. Now I’m able to see through gui backup history and command line also the same.

How can I check the log file, is there any log file, I want to know which files are backed up and which are ignore? If you can give me support.

• Pull up the "Backup Archive and Restore" gui on the client.You will be able to see backup history.

You can also run bpclimagelist if you want text output for automation. Pls note you will have to modify this command if you wan't to show E.g. Exchange backup's instead of file system backups.

• You can check what files are backed up with bpbkar debug log with certain logging level.
    To enable this, follow this.

1. Create bpbkar folder under installed_folder\NetBackup\logs.
      e.g.) C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\bpbkar
    2. Set Geneal Logging level grater than 0(1 or 2), from BAR > File > NetBackup Client Properties > Troubleshooting Tab.
    3. After backup, check daily log file under bpbkar folder. But, this is painful work, since the log is intended for engineer's debug work.

• You can see files in a backup by using the GUI (again) or use bplist. bplist is a little tricky to use. See some examples at : http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/75-bplist-a-handy-tool-for-the-netbackup-admin.html

There is no easy to read log on the client as of what files is being ignored. You can create a directory called bpbkar in [install_path]\netbackup\logs. This will write debug log info, but it require some expertise to understand what's going on. Ignored files/skipped files -  you really need access to the master server console. Maybe you can arrange that information being mailed from the master server ?.