Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Virtual to Physical

In my NBU 8.0 my media server is installed on my virtual machine, i have to move it to physical machine without facing anny downtime, how can i do that? Can anybody please help ?  
    Marianne
    7 years ago

So, Basic Disk will be very easy to move, but even so, I do not see how you can V2P the media server without any downtime.

This would be my approach: 
    (I have not tested this - hopefully others will add their thoughts)
    Prepare the physical server off the network with same hostname and IP address.
    Install NBU media server software and license. Do not start NBU after installation as media server will attempt to connect to the master serer.
    Offline virtual media server in the GUI on master server.
    Shutdown virtual server.
    Zone the SAN storage (used for Basic Disk) to physical server. 
    Ensure storage is mounted as same drive letter/path as it was on virtual server.
    Join server to network and domain.
    NBU should automatically startup and retrieve it's config from EMM on the master server.
    Online media server in the GUI on the master.

Run test backup and restore.

A similar process is documented here - just ignore all references to tape/library:
    https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041204

I am not aware of any V2P tools that can perform such a migration without any downtime.

The other suggestions here are also good advice - if you have additional disk storage, you can config a new media server with new name and change backup policies to use new STU. 
    You can then allow backups on old STU to expire naturally or else duplicate to new STU and expire on old STU, followed by decommissioning of virtual media server.