Forum Discussion

Carl_Ayres
Level 4
11 years ago

VMware policy - Virtual Disk Selection

Hello,

I'm running NB7.5.0.6 and vSphere 4.0. We have a VM guest that we currently backup using the VMware policy, including all virtual disks. I have been asked to stop backing up one of the virtual data disks, but keep backing up the remaining virtual data disks. I can see the option to "Exclude Data disks" which is great, but not quite what I am being asked for. Is it possible to select a specific virtual disk to exclude on a particular VMware guest, whilst continuing to backup the remaining virtual disks?

Any advice appreciated.

Carl

• Carl,

I ran into a similar request, and remembering that VMware "'Independent disks" were missing from a previous backup, used that strategy  to exclude the desired disk.

In summary: mark the disk(s) to be excluded as "Independent" in vSphere, and they will be excluded from the VMware snapshot.

5 Replies

• Seems NBU 7.5 VMware policy only have these options:

■ Include all disks
    ■ Exclude boot disk
    ■ Exclude data disks

No other choices...

Or else install NBU Client in the VM and back it up with normal OS policy where you have more options in Exclude List in the Client Host Properties.

• Carl,

I ran into a similar request, and remembering that VMware "'Independent disks" were missing from a previous backup, used that strategy  to exclude the desired disk.

In summary: mark the disk(s) to be excluded as "Independent" in vSphere, and they will be excluded from the VMware snapshot.