Forum Discussion

7 years ago

volume groups

I have noticed on my media server, two volume groups:  --- and 000_00000_TLD

the first group:  ---  has most of my media listed in it.

the second group:  000_00000_TLD has just 8 tapes listed in it - from various volume pools.

My question - is this going to cause problems for me?  Will  I need to move all the media in the --- group to a real volume group?

• Hi Bruce_Clegg,

You shouldn't need to do anything with Volume Groups at all.

The --- Volume Group should contain ALL of your tapes that are NOT currently in your tape library.  The 000_00000_TLD Volume Group should contain just those tapes that are currently in your tape library.

If you open Robots (underneath Volume Groups), you should see that TLD(0) (your robot, or tape library) has all the tapes that are shown in Volume Group 000_00000_TLD, and Standalone should contain all the tapes that you see in the --- Volume Group.

Is that what you see?

Hope this helps,

Steve

4 Replies

• Hi Bruce_Clegg,

You shouldn't need to do anything with Volume Groups at all.

The --- Volume Group should contain ALL of your tapes that are NOT currently in your tape library.  The 000_00000_TLD Volume Group should contain just those tapes that are currently in your tape library.

If you open Robots (underneath Volume Groups), you should see that TLD(0) (your robot, or tape library) has all the tapes that are shown in Volume Group 000_00000_TLD, and Standalone should contain all the tapes that you see in the --- Volume Group.

Is that what you see?

Hope this helps,

Steve

Marianne
        Level 6
        Bear in mind that Volume Group is associated with volume location.
        All media in a library of the same density will be in the same group.
        When you eject media, the group changes to --- . When you put them back in the robot, NBU inventory will put them (back) in the robotic volume group.