Forum Discussion

12 years ago

BESR 2010 Offsite Copy: Old copies not deleting

Hi,

I have set up a backup with Offsite Copy enabled.  It's going to a 1 TB external hard drive.  However, I can't seem to figure out a way to make BESR delete the old backups...  We have 5 full backups dating back to 4/9/2012, all over 150 GB, with incrementals in between that are 20-40 GB each.

Is there any way I can set a retention policy for this?

Thanks!

• You can see that the sync between the primary and offsite has been working as the set # goes from 86 to 105 to 110 etc. Looks like an intermittent problem.

As you are on 9.0.1 (old), I would suggest installing SP5 (9.0.5):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH193127

This does require a reboot, even if it does not prompt you to.

10 Replies

• Old copies not being deleted but where - the primary or offsite location? Or both?

Is there any way I can set a retention policy for this?

Yes, you specify this in the backup job (see setting for 'Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup').

• They are not being deleted off the offsite location.

EDIT:  The job is set to keep two recovery point sets at maximum.

• So I assume they are being correctly deleted at the primary location then?

Also, what service-pack level are you running (check in Help/About for version details).

• Yes - there are 2 .v2i files, with some incremental (I assume - not very experienced with BESR, as you can probably tell, haha) .iv2i files as well.

I am running version 9.0.1.36527.

• Can you provide a screenshot (from windows explorer) that shows both the primary and offsite locations? We need to be able to see filenames and date/timestamps of the files.

• You can see that the sync between the primary and offsite has been working as the set # goes from 86 to 105 to 110 etc. Looks like an intermittent problem.

As you are on 9.0.1 (old), I would suggest installing SP5 (9.0.5):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH193127

This does require a reboot, even if it does not prompt you to.

• Okay, sounds good.  I'll install that.

Does this mean that I should be able to get rid of the 86, 105, 110, and 114 backups from the offsite drive without messing anything up?  Should I do that manually?  Shouldn't BESR do that for me?

• Yes, you can remove them manually if you like.

Yes, BESR should do it automatically. Isn't that the whole purpose of your post on these forums..? wink