Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Image OLD Windows 2000 SP4 server and apply to new hardware.

I have started a new project. The Lab has two servers. Both are HP DL380, one a G3, the second a G5. The G3 is running Windows Server 2000 SP4. The G5 is running Windows Server 2003 Standard edition. I have another G5 and two G7's for use. Both servers are domain controllers. Servers have RAID1 and RAID5 drives.

I need to migrate the Windows 2000 Server to newer hardware and then upgrade the OS to at least Windows 2003 R2 as an interim solution.

I have installed SSR 2013 on the Windows 2003 server but it will NOT image the Windows 2000 server. I have found the following software:

Norton Ghost 10.0 - appears to be desktop only

Norton Ghost 12.0 - appears to be desktop only

Norton Ghost 2003 - Documentation states it will work with Windows 2000 SP4, but I think it is desktop only.

Ghost Solution Suite 2.5(has invoice from 2008). Appears to support Windows 2000 server. I have installed this on the Windows 2003 server and then installed the client on the Windows 2000 server. I have created an image job, started the Ghostcast server. It appears I need to create a boot DVD to run Ghost.exe that somehow will connect with the Ghostcast server. Is that correct? Is there a procedure to create a boot DVD for this process?

Is Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 my best solution to create an image and install on newer hardware?

The immediate goal is to migrate the Windows 2000 server to newer hardware, upgrade to Windows 2003 and setup SSR 2013 scheduled backups(two licenses purchased.

The longer term goal is to upgrade the OS to at minimum WIndows 2008 R2 but probably WIndows 2012 R2 on new hardware. Slightly complicated by the servers restricted from accessing the internet.

Can someone confirm my thoughts re taking an Image of the Windows 2000 server? Is there a way to do this with SSR 2013?

Thanks,