Forum Discussion

dmcmillen
Level 4
9 years ago

SSR keeps dropping System Reserve drive on system drive backup job

The System Drive backup job (I have had this job for a long, long time) which backs up the C: drive and the System Reserved drive drops the System Reserved drive from the backup job when I start my s...
    9 years ago

This problem has been resolved via a work around by assigning a drive letter to the System Reserved partition and backing up that drive letter along with the C: drive in the backup job. 

This problem exists because of the assumption of SSR that drives are always enumerated in the same order on system bootup.  SSR assumes that the system boot drive containing the C: and System Reserved partitions will always enumerate to the same location, so if it enumerates to a different location (as seen in Disk Management; i.e., disk0, disk1, etc.)  then it's not available for the backup job.  Not good because SSR does not generate any error.  It just drops the System Reserved from the backup and the only way to know is to check the job.

As you can see from this Microsoft article, there is no quarantee that disks will enumerate in the same order on bootup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/937251

This would explain why this problem started after I added 2 internal disks to my machine.  Personally I have never seen this before, although you'd have to have a reason to be looking for it. Once the system is booted the drives show as they always do in Explorer with the assigned drive letters.  You would never know what order they enumerated in unless you went and checked.

I would consider this an SSR bug.  At worst, someone needs to disseminate this info so if it is encountered again Symantec support knows what to do.