Forum Discussion

19 years ago

9.1 Logon account "Administrator" failed to access "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft...

Hi guys. This error is killing me, spent 5 hours applying various article solutions but no fix.

Here is some detailed information:
Veritas Version 9.1REV 4691
Backup exec for Windows Servers
Agent for Microsoft Exchange 2000 server

Error:
Logon account "Administrator" failed to access "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" Access is denied.

Remote Server:
Server Name: EXCHANGE
O/S: Windows 2000 SP4

Vertias installed on Windows 2000 server SP4

Network / Logon Accounts:
Username: Administrator
Owner: \DOMAIN\Administrator
Default = Yes
Type Resticted.

When I attempt to create a backup job I am able to drill down to exchange mailboxes under remote selections. However if I select either Exchange Mailboxes or Exchange Public Folders I receive the error:

Logon account "Administrator" failed to access "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" Access is denied.

Exchange Server:
Exchange System Manager / Delegate Control = \Domain\Administrator set to Exchange Full Administrator

All was working fine? Not anymore? What could have changed? I even uninstalled and reinstalled. No change. I feel maybe this is an exchange permissions issue as opposed Veritas?? Can't see what.

Log onto the server as administrator + network password. Veritas Logon Account is the same. administrator + network password.

Any Thoughts,
Phil.

4 Replies

• Note:

On the service properties I have set the Log On as follows:

All Backup exec services set to use this account:
    Domain\Administrator

Is this correct? I have tried using local account but that did not work either.
    Phil.
  • I feel maybe this is an exchange permissions issue as opposed Veritas??

Most likely.

Make sure that the mailbox associated with the BackupExec service account still has all the Exchange rights that it needs.

if you logon to the media server as the service account and open outlook, can you attach to and open other Mailboxes?
  • Hi Ken. The resolution was a combination of all that I tried. I amended the logon credentials for the back-up exec services to use the network logon account + unhid the users mailbox under exchange advanced options. I tried these individually and they did not resolve the issue. Combined was the solution (shot in the dark). Hope this helps somebody else.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Phil.