Forum Discussion

Level 2
20 years ago

Access denied to file

I get hundreds of these "access denied to file" when backing up mailboxes. These are just individual mailbox items that produce the message. Authentication to Exchange server is fine. I have implemented the various registry tweaks for skipping files and corrupted items but this problem still causes a job failure. I would like to get rid of this error is possible. Permissions to backup mailboxes is all or nothing, right? I am using domain administrator for the backup exec service account. I have scoured the knowledgebase but none of the articles/solutions seem to apply. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies

• Hello,

This is a rights issue. The Backup Exec service account (BESA) should have enough rights on the Exchange server. You can crossrefer the rights of the BESA with the requirements mentioned in the document.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/234575

Please write to us if the issue persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
    business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed
    answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’
    pool.
  • No, you didn't understand my question. If the Backup Exec service account did not have appropriate rights to the Exchange server I would not be able to attach to the mailboxes period.

I can backup the mailboxes. Some of the individual mail items in assorted user mailboxes come back with access is denied to file and I want to clean them up.

I have been through this several times with other clients and usually the only resolution is to go through and omit each message causing the problem from the backup. Other fixes are to disable virus protection during backup, but this is not a good option as backup runs for 12 plus hours (30GB info store). Besides, I have excluded all Exchange folders/queues from anti-virus scanning anyway.

I want to know if there is a more permanent solution. Upgrading to 9.1 is not the answer as the problem persists with this version as well. Believe me I have searched your knowledgebase thoroughly and have not found a relavant article. (Did not move mailboxes to other information store either).
  • Hi,

Please refer to the Technote given below :

Preliminary Troubleshooting List for Exchange and mailbox backups
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242606.htm

Please paste here the exact error message from the job log and explain the your environment,in order to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.