Forum Discussion

Level 2
20 years ago

Advanced Open File Option

I currently have a mixed NT 4.0 Windows 2003 server environment. The machines are all patched to the latest SP's and hot-fixes. Lately I ran into a backup issue. The backups were running perfectly until I added another server to the mix, which was another 2003 server. Upon adding that server, I recreated the backup job to include the new server. I then selected the Advanced Open File Option, of which was running previously. I selected the MS Volume Shadow Copy Service. Now all machines are being backed up except the NT4, which is yielding the Exception as follows:

OFO: VSS Snapshots are not supported on the version of the Operating System running on the Target machine.

I believe it has something to do with Shadow Copies not being a feature on Windows NT4.0. I looked back into my backup logs, and it looks as though I did not allow that AOFO feature to be included in my old job on the NT server, but how? I thought the only way for AOFO to be included in the backup was an all or nothing approach. Please can you shed some light on this?

4 Replies

• Hi,

You have to de-select the option "VSS" under AOFO or create a separate backup job for these systems having windows NT.

Kindly refer the following technote,
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264415.htm

Hope this helps.
  • Apparently you did not read the entire case. Please refer to the case again. Below is the paragraph stating my inquiry. I wish to know the procedure to deselect the backup for the NT box. Previously there was only one job running the backup, but the NT box was deselected, but how?

"....I believe it has something to do with Shadow Copies not being a feature on Windows NT4.0. I looked back into my backup logs, and it looks as though I did not allow that AOFO feature to be included in my old job on the NT server, but how? I thought the only way for AOFO to be included in the backup was an all or nothing approach. Please can you shed some light on this?...."
  • Hello,

As mentioned in the technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/264415 VSS is not supported with NT 4.0 or 2000. Hence we request you to create separate selection lists.

However if you require further clarification, do not hesitate to revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.