Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 Licensing

HI,

I have 3 ESX servers and in 3 ESX we have 10 Virtaul Machines on VM Load balancing feature in which we have Exchange 2010 and SQL servers with some fileservers as well in windows environment. I need to install BAckup Exec 2012. What licenses it requires?

My suggested llicenses is:

1 Backup Exec Media Server

3 agent for Vmware

3 Database and application pack.

One more thing which need to clearify is, If i have 1 ESX and in one ESX we have 3 VM's in which Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, so i need 3 Database and Application licenses or i just 1 Database and application pack is enough to take a backup of Exhcnage, SQL and AD?

Regards,

Sajid

7 Replies

•  

1 Backup Exec Media Server.... right

3 agent for Vmware..... right (1 for each ESX)

1 Database and application pack..... 

One more thing which need to clearify is, If i have 1 ESX and in one ESX we have 3 VM's in which Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, so i need 3 Database and Application licenses or i just 1 Database and application pack is enough to take a backup of Exhcnage, SQL and AD?

--> One Agent and Database option is enough as that will activate all the three options as Symantec has now made it all in one option.

Thanks,

-Sush...

• Actually would require 3 application and database licenses...its one license per application/database :)

• Depending on your configuration you can also use v-ray licsensing which is per cpu socket and everything is included with the added bonus of deduplication option. 

• Hi

If you want to backed up database from each vmware instance then you need to purchase 3 database pack. For example : If you take a benefit of Exchange GRT restoration use database pack

Or use V-Ray License as Vailis suggesting above.

• Sajid,

I have sent an email to you.

There are new licensing models with BE 2012 and I will be glad to help you understand them so you can decide what is best for your customer.

• Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Customer's basic need is to take backup of all the database servers i.e EXchange, SQL and Active Directory. they dont need Exchange GRT and as i informed you these machines are configured in 3 ESX servers so all above mentioned databases will rotate in 3 ESX servers as per load balancing. so What you guys suggested here?

3 Databas and Appliacation pack or only 1 would be enough?

Sajid

• Hi

I think it will be cheaper if you get the vray edition. Otherwise you will need 3 esx agents and 3 database agents.With v-ray you have one lic depending on your cpu cores and all the agents are included in the lic.

BR