Forum Discussion

Frank_Lane
Level 3
18 years ago

Delete or move DATA directory

My C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data directory is using up about 16 GB and I am running low on hard drive space. Is there a way to move this directory to a different drive or delete some of the files in this directory? I would like to know what kind of impact this will have if I delete these .htm and .xml files from this directory.

5 Replies

• is it your \Data directory or the \Catalogs directory?

Normally the Catalogs take up the most space, but if you have detailed logging turned on, that the logs could be responsible.

Anyway see http://support.veritas.com/docs/260054 to move your install
  • I have already moved the Catalog directory. I need to know if I can delete these files in the /Data directory or if I can move this directory to another drive.
  • if you don't need old job logs, you could certainly delete them, but you cannot move just the \Data directory

The technote does tell you how to move your complete install to a different drive, so that looks like your best bet at this point.
  • There are .htm and .xml files in this directory which are taking up all the space. Are both of these safe to delete? If I delete these log files, what impact does that have on, say, restoring a file from a backup job in the catalog?

I just want to know if this is going to bite me later where I wish I hadn't removed them.

Also, shouldn't maintenance remove these log files automatically? I have log files back from 2005 in this directory.
  • The log files are only for reference - as long as a volume is in the catalog, you can always restore from it