Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Devices # changes from 0 to 2 rapidly

Hello - when I'm on the devices tab, the # of devices switches rapidly from 0 to 2. I have one HP DAT backup drive, the SCSI card and Windows detected it without problems. The HP drive stays in the device tree, though, but the 'Devices - 0 items' goes back and forth from 0 to 2 items.

Any job I try to submit stays in the queued state, and I've tried every possible solution in the knowledge base (stopping BE services, removing tape drive from Devices, restarting services, & rebooting server, etc...). I am unable to inventory or label media.
My eventviewer reports no errors for the tape drive, though. Any ideas? Thanks!

3 Replies

• Hello,

Verify the following:
    1. Are you able to use the library using NTBackup?
    2. Have you added LEO license?

Please update the following:
    1. Install latest drivers.
    VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/273887

2. Upgrade the firmware of the drive and the controller.

====
    - Are you getting any errors while inventorying or labeling media?
    - Do you have event ids 7, 9, 11 or 15?

Additionally refer the following technote and check you configuration settings.
    Title:
    How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
    assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • This tape device replaced a previous tape device that had a hardware failure. Unfortuantely NTBackup is still seeing the old tape device, although I've wiped out all traces of the old tape device. It doesn't show in Device Manager.

I don't think the LEO license will apply since this is a stand-alone tape drive.

In applying the latest drivers from Veritas, I've got the drive now to go from 'Queued' to 'Running', although the drive doesn't respond.
    Unable to inventory or label media still, and no event ids of 7, 9, 11, or 15. Thanks!
  • Hello,

Ensure that the device is properly recignized by the OS. Only then will it function correctly with Backup Exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.