Forum Discussion

Rob_Hack
Level 3
18 years ago

Exchange 2003 Recovery Storage Groups

We have an exchange IS full backup done from an exch 2000 sp3/ BackExec 8.6 server.
I'm recovering to an exch 2003 recovery storage group on a test server running most recent BE 11d trial with exchange agent (same server name etc).  I've had a look at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm and have done a test recovery which appears to now need a hard recovery done on the recovered database.  Before I do that I am going to re-run in order to hopefully  get the database to mount normally however I'm unclear on some of the options from the link posted.
On the actual BE side of things, section 2 states:

2. On the Properties pane, under Settings, click Exchange. Select the appropriate options.

Note: Do not select the Commit after restore completes checkbox and the Mount database after restore checkbox on the Restore Job Properties dialog box for Exchange unless your selections include the last backup set to be restored. These selections direct the Exchange server to replay transactions, roll back uncommitted transactions, and mount the databases after the restore.
Now I would keep select the Commit and Mount options as I've a full backup but what about the other 'appropriate options'?  Is there any more clarification on what these do?  I couldn't find anything in the Admin guide.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

1 Reply

• Well I managed to find my answers in the Help file of BE11d  ;-)  Should've looked there first admittedly but posted the question from home and didn't have access to the test system.

For anyone interested, I selected the 'Restore all transaction logs; do not delete existing transaction logs (no loss restore' - this is the default.  I also checked the Commit and Mount boxes too and the recovery succeeded correctly.

The only change here from my first attempt was checking the Commit and Mount selections.
    Hope this helps someone else