cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting DVD-RW ???

Lee_aghion
Level 3
We are attempting to use DVD-RW for backups and found that our jobs are sitting Queued all the time, I searched the forum and came across a post that suggested that you need to re- format the DVD before you try to use it a second time as BE cannot re-write to a DVD that has data on it already, I did this and it seems to work, however it is a pain as it adds another step to the backup process...
Does anyone know if indeed this is the only way to use the DVD backup feature??
Thanks
Lee
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

To overwrite a DVD, you will need to format it using third party application.
For additional information, refer the following technote.
Title:
How to perform a backup to CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW with Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262594

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Lee_aghion
Level 3
I have formatted the DVD using the UDF file system as suggested by Veritas
My question is, when I go to use the same DVD a second time, must I format it again before I use it... ??
I have found the backup works with a clean format, however if I use the same DVD again, the job sits Queued until I format the dvd again, then it runs ok...

Thanks

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To check if you can rewrite on the DVD without reformatting it, drag and drop a file from the Explorer and check if its able to write. If so then you can write on that DVD without formatting it. If not then you need to format it and then write.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.