Forum Discussion

Level 2
14 years ago

Grandfather backup strategy

Hello new to BExec I'm trying to implement a grandfather strategy do I need a tape for each day of the week Mon-Thur to perform an incremental backup or can I use the Full from Fri and just add the incremental to that backup? How do I set the overwrite and append times for this type of strategy

4 Replies

• Hello,

The following KB article would provide detailed info about the Grandfather strategy  -http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/342154.htm

• Thanks for the link however the article doesn't tell me what to set the append and overwrite periods to. It also doesn't address whether I can add data to the weekly full backup because it doesn't take up the whole tape and I can get Mon-Thur on it.

• That document assumes that all Jobs are Overwrite, no append jobs at all

OPP for Dailies - 6 Days

Weeklies  27 Days

monthlies   364 days

You could append the Dailies to the Weeklies, I guess, but everyplace I have ever worked has sent weeklies to off-site storage on Mondays, (and  this would only reduce your tape count from 19 to 15 anyway.)

if you decide to Append, then the daily and weekly jobs must use the same media set, with an App of 6 days and an OPP of 20 days