Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Ndmp backup to span multiple tapes

Hi

I hope that somebody can help me with an answer to this question.

I'm using backup exec 2010R2 and using the ndmp option to backup volumes from a Nettapp storage device.
The ndmp option is working fine and I'm able to backup data from the Netapp system as long as it doesn't span over multiple tapes. So are there anyone who knows how to deal with this problem?

Kind Regards
Hans Chr. Andersen

3 Replies

• You haven't stated the symptoms/error message reported at the time of the problem.

However we are aware of an issue with a library attached to an EMC Celerra (Not a NetApp) where the job runs fine and then appears to hang at a Media Request at the point where it tries to span to the next tape.

At the time the problem occurs the event log reports
    Event ID 33152  "Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: message 0x705 not supported. "

If you have this particular set of symptoms then I would be intrested to know as in theory the issue is fixed (for a Celerra) in BE 2010 R2, but it might be that a NetApp returns a slightly different sequence of return codes which cause the failure on a NetApp.

Note we could also possibly do with knowing what type of library you are using and how it is connected to the NetApp and whether the NetApp is a clustered/multiple filer implementation or a stand alone one. This is because there is another possible issue involving multiple filers attached to one library that also is seen as the tape is spanned.)

• The 2nd tape on which the data is spanned should not be appendable, it should be overwritable tape. We wont be able to use appendable media for spanned jobs (2nd tape onwards)

hope this helps....

• Just for info if you are seeing the problem mentioned by Dev -T, then you are not seeing an NDMP issue you are seeing something that is part of the core operation in Backup Exec.

Because of the way the database and catalog indexes work behind the scenes a job that fills a tape can NEVER append to the second tape. This operation cannot be changed and does not matter if you start the job as an overwrite or an append. It also does not make any difference if you are using the NDMP Option, RMAL or a library attached directly to the Media Server.  This same method of operation has been in the product for a number of versions / years.

Basically once the first tape fills up, the second tape will always be overwritten and therefore an overwritable tape will have to be present in the library otherwise the job will pause with a media request for an Overwritable Media pending as an alert/alarm