Forum Discussion

18 years ago

REV/70 Drive, NTFS issues, No backups ever complete

Hello all,

We're using a SATA REV 70 drive and BE 11d for Small Bus Servers on Windows SBS 2003R2, running on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 server.

When attempting to back up using the granular restore option, we're getting the famous V-79-57344-4608 "must use NTFS" error. It's driving me crazy.

As an IT consultant, I've recommended, installed and used Backup Exec in about 30 different installations for about five years, since around version 8 or so. This is the first time I've ever had significant "just can't back up no matter what I do" issues with BE, and I'm hoping that maybe it's a simple fix.

Most of my experience has been with DAT tapes (DDS4/DAT72). These two installations (both substantially identical) are my first Rev Drive installs. With great reviews and Iomega's well-crafted "look how great we work with Symantec Backup Exec" press releases, I decided to try it.

To be honest, I'm having difficulty calling this product "compatible" with Rev drives using the "Removeable Backup to Disk" device option. The products just don't seem to work well together--certainly not as well as I'm used to with DAT drives. When Granular Restore is turned off, I get the Rev disk ejecting itself on its own, at 100% completion, with the backup staying at "backing up" status forever, and upon attempting to cancel the backup I get the typical "cancel pending" status that never goes away, totally hung Backup Exec Job Engine service, requiring a reboot of this (full production) server.

Yes, I've even swallowed my pride and read the manual (even though I know the product well enough that I felt I didn't need to), and followed the "removeable backup to disk" options to the letter.

When the granular restore option is enabled, I get the NTFS complaint. This is ridiculous. I need to be able to have the confidence of knowing I can restore a single message, folder, or user's box, without having to restore "the entire Exchange store". This always worked with tapes (which, as far as I'm aware, don't use NTFS either). Why am I having this issue?

This is a Small Business Server, and BE 11d Small Business Edition. I'm not just backing up the files on my D: drive. I'm looking to get a simple, fully automated and complete backup of my ENTIRE server--including SharePoint Services, SQL Databases and of course, Exchange.

I called Symantec "Enterprise" Technical Support, and they told me that because it's a Dell-shipped OEM version, Symantec won't support the product, Call Dell. Never mind it's the identical product to a "retail" version. Dell tells me that they only provide Installation support, "call Symantec". Great. Congrats to both Symantec and Dell on their terrific support and ownership of a product.

How do I get around this Granular Support issue? I have yet to get a single successful backup in either of two different IT installations from it using ANY options whatsoever, granular restore or not.

I need to be able to restore individual messages or mailboxes from my backups, just like I've always been able to with prior small-biz versions of the BE product. I'm assuming by turning off the "granular restore" option, I lose that capability, right? In BE 9.x/10.x I was always able to restore individual boxes or messages. Why are we taking a step back with BE 11d? Why is 11d so unstable? I've never had these problems before and so it's totally caught me off guard here.

Help, anyone!?!?

-Dan

14 Replies