Forum Discussion

Ruska
Level 4
15 years ago

Server 2008 R2

We are currently running BE 12.5. Service pack 2 has not yet been installed. We have come to the point where hotfix (File Name: be2213R331998_x64bit_334938.exe ) needs to be installed. The prereq for this is that SP2 be installed first.
My question is, still backing up majority 2003 servers and variants of 2008 other than R2 (which backs up successfully), can I install SP2 and the hotfix without having to reinstall all the agents currently running on the boxes. In other words, will the agents currently running be backwards compatible or will I have to reinstall (update) all currently installed agents after upgrading the media server.
The agent on the 2008R2 box obviously would have to be installed using the updated version from the media server. I just need to know if all other agents can be updated at a later stage for me to accurately scope the project.
Also, am I correct in assuming that the install procedure is that botht PS and the hotfix gets installed on the meduia server. So if I download the these patches and I'm running a 2003 32bit media server I should be downloading the 32bit versions even though the patch is for backing up 64bit servers. To my understanding no patches gets installed diretly on the node server, apart from the updated agent which gets pushed down from the updated media server. Is thsi correct?

2 Replies

• Even the 32bit hotfixes and service packs contain updates for the 64bit agent folders (and vice versa) so you download the appropriate bit level for the media server. To save effort install all the current service packs and hotfixes before you attempty to install/update any remote servers as then they get the updates in one pass.

Although you should be able to use agents without updates applied even though the media server has been updated to a newer SP and HF level - we do recommend that you do a rolling agent upgrade as soon as possible - this is because we will have fixed some issues that specifically affect the remote agent in a lot of the updates contained in the SP - so although you may not think you have a problem there could be something critical that you do need. Also we don't do stability testing for mismatched remote agent to media server configurations which would mean if you run into anything unexpected, support would ask you to update the agents as well (just to be sure iit is not the mismatch causing the problem)

• Many thanks Colin

As a prioraty I can then upgrade the Media server and 2008R2 box I need to upgrade.

I can then systematically upgrade the rest of the node in production time as installing new agents does not require reboots.

Speaking of deploying, for some unknown reason only this week the "remote agent install wizzard" does not start up. This is the case if I try and run it from the drop down menu or the link top right corner. No error message is diplayed. It simply does not appear.

Are there any known reasons for this. This is an issue I would have to resolve before any upgrades as using this wizzard is the only way to get the updated agent onto any nodes.