Forum Discussion

Paul_Lush
Level 2
18 years ago

Tape won't Catalog on BE 11D

Hi there,

I have a new install of BE 11D (fully patched with LiveUpdate), running on a Windows 2003 SP2 Server with an HP StorageWorks Ultrium Tape Drive.

This server previously ran BE 9.1 and a Sony AIT3 Drive, but I removed all settings when I uninstalled it (beginning to think that was a mistake).

If I try to Catalog a tape, its asking for a password, but I have never set this up. I have tried leaving it blank, as well as the Admin password, but the job just sits in the Job Monitor as "Queued"

If I try a restore using the wizard, the job also just sits in the Job Monitor as Status "Queued"

I am desperate to restore from tape last weeks LiveState backups in order I can restore one of our DC's

I am probably missing something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.

Paul :-)

5 Replies

• I have a similar problem, I was using backup exec 8.1 and had archived some old outdated files to a tape.  I didn't make any other changes except upgrading to 11d and now I can not access my tapes, even after inventory and cataloging efforts, thank godness I didn't upgrade all my servers by the time I figured this out.  I have one left that I can't upgrade because of access to these tapes.
  • I have now upgraded the Tape Drive firmware, tried both the Symantec and the HP drivers, but still get the same issue.

I installed 11D on another server with a Sony AIT3, and I have no problems Cataloging or Restoring from AIT tapes which have backups on created by Backup Exec 9.1. I did nothing different on that install.

Paul
  • So it sounds like AIT created tapes are not compatible with LTO drives. 

You're just gonna have to keep the AIT drive around to do restores.   You can hook it up to your new media server and just let it sit there until you actually need it
  • The AIT and LTO are two seperate drives in two seperate servers, on to different domains.

I was just using the AIT equipped server as an example.

I have the problem with 11d and the LTO drive, but don't have the problem with 11d and the AIT3, if that makes sense?

The only differences are the servers (one Dell, one Intel) themselves and the tape drives.

Paul