Forum Discussion

mpw613
Level 3
13 years ago

Restore Catalog from Tape

Have a complex issue on our NBU 7.5 Master Server. Our Master Server crashed. Was running on a Dell PE 2950, with an MD1000 attached. Something happened with the OS of the Master Server and it would no longer boot into Windows. So I grabbed a Dell PE 1950 and configured it for Windows, same name, same IP's, same level of NBU 7.5.

Previously, long before any issues, had moved the images catalog directory to another drive, on the MD1000. Used this procedure to do this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68160

After the setup on the new server, I again changed the catalog directory to point to this MD1000. After this, and a reboot, I could see the policies from before the crash, but there are still issues with media servers missing, no catalog information if I try to do a restore, Volume Pools missing. So it seems after the reinstall and pointing it to the catalog directory, that not everything is visible again.

I do have the old server that crashed, and using a recovery boot disk I can access the old OS partition, the files still exist.

My question: are there any files I can copy from the crashed server to the new server that, in addition to the catalog information on the MD1000, will get me back in a working condition with the catalog information available?

Also, because it was what I tried first, it seems our catalog backup has been having issues. We do it to disk and tape (Multiple Copies), but for some reason the BTD only contains the differential backups for the last few weeks, no full backup it seems. And I'm working on recalling backup tapes to see if any of those have a full backup, but it's possible we don't have a full catalog backup on tape. But since all the files are available, either on the old crashed server or the MD1000, I'm hoping there is somthing we can do.

I have a ticket with Symnatec, but as this is quite urgent I wanted to ask here as well.

Thanks for your help!

• Worked with Symnatec Support over the phone and this is a summary they sent that, well, sums up what it took to get it working:

-- To recover and resynchronize the NetBackup relational databases (NBDBs),tried bprecover -r -nbdb.
    still same issue.

-- checked latest catalog backup and found latest catalog backup on 14th July.
    -- Seems,due to the latest catalog backup on 14th July i.e.after crash,while recover NBDB,it is capturing information from 14th July's full catalog information.
    -- Expired the catalog backup images which has been taken after server crash,so that bprecover can recover the NBDB before the server crash.
    -- Run the bprecover -r -nbdb to recover NBDB.
    -- Able to see the volume pools,storage units and groups.
    -- Checked with Restore and Image cleanup.Working fine.

At first could not access the Media server, but after a reboot of the entire environment this was OK as well.

Thanks for all your help mph999 Martin! Very much appreciated.

14 Replies