Forum Discussion

Chris_Wise
Level 3
19 years ago

Type of backup

I'm still pretty new to Veritas, the company I joined already had it installed and I've figured quite a bit out. However, I am curious as to the type of backup it creates. Does it just backup the data, or does it create a backup of the whole system. If my server crashed and I had to reinstall Windows 2003, could I just restore from the tape device and back back to normal? Would all programs, registry settings, mailboxes, active directory settings, etc. all be in tact or is Veritas just for data backup only?

2 Replies

• It all depends on the options you've purchased with BE. To backup Exchange you will need the Exchange Agent. For AD you will need to backup the system state of the machine in question. For disaster recovery BE has the IDR (?) option although I've never used it.

So, you can recover your server from scratch but it al depends on what data you previously backupped. If you don't backup the system state of your domain controller and it dies on you, you cannot restore it. (If you have only one AD controller that is) The same goes for all other data.

Regards
    A van der Boom
  • Hello Chris!

Your expectations/perceptions about the software are right.

You may want to have a look at the DR shortcut list to know how you could use BE in the event of a disaster:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261700.htm

Regards,
    Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.