Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Unable to backup certain files, no errors given

I'm trying to perform a full backup of my server's C drive. I want to be able to capture all the files, regardless of the archive bit.

I've tried using FULL (time modification) and COPY and the result is always the same, certain files in the WINNT directory do not back up.

One good example is Notepad.exe. I've tried selecting the file by itself, and tried using C:\winnt\*.* and regardless, it doesn't seem to make it on to the backup tape. Also, some of the .dll files in the Microsoft.NET framework directory appear to be in the same situation.

It doesn't appear to be part of the System State (for Win 2000) or the Shadow Copy Components (for Win2003) since I've tried a restore of both to different servers and Notepad.exe isn't on the target server.

Would really appreciate help, since I'm unable to restore a working copy of the server without its WINNT directory intact.

7 Replies

• Also, I've tried this on servers with Advanced Open File Option and one without, and the result is the same.
  • Hello,

Are the files from Winnt folder are getting skipped?

Some files may remain open at the time of performing backup. Backup Exec
    tries to backup these files by trying to acquire a lock on the open file.
    If the file is in use continuously then Backup Exec skips the files so that
    it can continue backing up the remaining files. These skipped files are
    reported in the job log as "Unable to open the item skipped".
    The information in the "System32" folder is backed as a part of the System
    State backup. If you are performing the backup of System State then you may exclude the system32 directory from the backup job.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • All of the files aren't being skipped. Only certain files in the WINNT directory and its subfolders.

We have Advanced Open File option installed, and I've verified that the files are not in use, in any case. There are no entries in the job log stating "Unable to open the item skipped."

I can't even get Notepad.exe to backup.
  • Hello,

Please create a backup job to backup only the files that are skipped in the winnt folder and tell us what happens.

Normally as witnessed by us the notepad.exe is backed up when the winnt folder is selected for backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.
  • I did that and the job runs successfully. The job log states that 0 files were backed up, however.
  • The files in question should be a part of Shadow Copy Components/System State/System Files.
  • Hi,

These are system protected files and get backed up via the system state. There is no need to back up them up separately, if you are backing up system state.

Additionally also check this technote:

Title : How to disable the Active File Exclusion feature in VERITAS Backup
    Exec(tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259152.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.