Forum Discussion

tgrabowski
Level 3
15 years ago

What needs to be backed up to be able to recover Exchange 2003

If I am using back up exec 12.5 with the Exchange agent to back up my complete information store do I still need to select the folders that contian the flatinformation store (EDB) files? I am thinking that if I had to recover exchange these files (in the MDBdata folder) aren't going to be needed becasue I am going to be taking the information from the online back up of the information store and using GRT to repopulate new -empty EDB files.  Is this correct?  Can I Exclude the Information store data files folders from the back up?  This would reduce my overall back up time and tape usage on a day to day basis. 
Thanks for any advice that you are able to share on this subject.
  • As long as the Exchange Server Service is running, you will not be able to do a "flat file" backup of the Exchange database files in any case

Microsoft does recommend that you do periodic flat file backups to speed Disaster Recovery (you avoid having to wait for the database to be initialized but do have to do two restores - the flat files, and then the latest agent backups)

if you do want to do flat file backups, you need to see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm to turn off Active File Exclusion, which will skip those files anyway

2 Replies

• As long as the Exchange Server Service is running, you will not be able to do a "flat file" backup of the Exchange database files in any case

Microsoft does recommend that you do periodic flat file backups to speed Disaster Recovery (you avoid having to wait for the database to be initialized but do have to do two restores - the flat files, and then the latest agent backups)

if you do want to do flat file backups, you need to see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm to turn off Active File Exclusion, which will skip those files anyway

• Perfect, Thank you.  I didn't even notice, until now, that the size of the IS drive back up was excluding the EDB files already. Thanks for the info and clarification for me.