Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
8 years ago

how to recover catalog?

in my other thread (https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/first-time-NBU-install-DR-exercise/m-p/820402#M221643), i'm trying to simulate a DR scenario where i manage to have a replacement server only and the tape libraries are not up or configured yet. just the server installed with the same OS and NBU version as the production server (7.6.0.3 in this case). also the email that contains the catalog file sent by the catalog backup policy.

think total server crash or melt down.

now that i am at that point where the standby server and the NBU are at same version and are online, how to proceed in recovering the catalog pending tape library installation? (i'm trying to follow this link https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH28722 but i'm afraid it's too outdated and doesn't fit my scenario).

• dd is best used with inactive, unmounted filesystems.
    You now have a Linux EXT4 filesystem error.
    Not NBU.

You know which catalog recovery method is supported....

Supported catalog replication methods are documented in NBU High Availability guide.

12 Replies

• As per my replies to your other post -
    by following steps in Disaster Recovery chapter of Troubleshooting Guide for your NBU version and by ensuring that you backup catalogs to media that can be quickly and easily presented to new media server. MSDP is not one of them.
    Unless you have a fully functional MSDP Master/media server at a DR site with AIR replication of all backups to DR master/media.

manatee
      Level 6

i read that already and some other guides. i think the problem is they talk about concepts like "disaster recovery file", "catalog image file", and so on without really defining what are they, what they look like, and where are they located. this is my issue. unless i missed those definitions.

the file attached to the email being sent by the catalog backup policy what is it called? i thought just by following what's stated in that email i can recover my catalog (tape library and associated hardware are a non-issue; just want to bring NBU master/media server back online).

Marianne
        Level 6
        Catalog recovery requires the same basic elements as a regular restore - catalog entries and the storage where the backup was written.

In a DR situation, there is no catalog. The dr-file is your catalog entry that contains the info about where exactly the catalog was backed up to.

There is a section in NBU Admin Guide I that explains parts of the catalog as well as the Catalog Backup policy.
      manatee
      Level 6

just want to share the part of the contents of the email i'm trying to follow:

Disaster Recovery Procedure using the DR Image File

In the event of a catastrophic failure, use the following procedure to rebuild the previous NetBackup environment.

Note:	If new hardware is required, make sure that the devices contain drives
      capable of reading the media and that the drive controllers are capable of mounting the drives.

1. Install NetBackup.
      	2. Configure the devices necessary to read the media listed above.
      	3. Inventory the media.
      	4. Make sure that the master server can access the attached DR image file.
      	Start the NetBackup Recovery Wizard from the NetBackup Administration
      	Console.  Or, start the wizard from a command line by entering
      		bprecover -wizard.

so i have that "DR image files" which was sent by email after the catalog backup policy finishes. that is also the same file i supplied to the "bprecover -wizard" where it failed saying:

ERR - Failed to execute command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdm -restordir -jobid 2 -cn 1 -b master_1478149292 -c master (83)
      Failed to recover catalog (83)

so, as i followed that email to the letter and it fails, is it safe to say that the email generated by the catalog backup policy is erroneous?

Marianne
        Level 6

You seem to be missing step 2 and 3 of the email:

2. Configure the devices necessary to read the media listed above.
        3. Inventory the media.

In your case the 'media' is MSDP storage, right?

As per my reply to your previous post - you need to ensure that Catalog is backed up to Storage that can be easily provisioned and accessed at a DR site.

Please read through Chapter 22 (Protecting the NetBackup catalog ) of  NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I 
        (This chapter in NBU 7.7 manual is the same as for NBU 7.6)