cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiry not working? Events 4167, 6578, 6621 and 6605 in eventviewer?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

Not so much an issue as well a solution..

On 1 journalserver, I experienced Storage Expiry not running anymore. It did start, but placed errors in the eventlog, and the event id 6604 showed only 1 or 0 items expired. I know from experience this should be a lot higher (20000+ items). The other journalarchivingservers are expiring fine.

Dtracing showed nothing.

Events:

1st 4167 - Exception been raised, internal reference .\DirectoryServiceWrapper.cpp
2nd 6578 - Abnormal Error Occurred Object: CRetentionCategoryIdentityCache, Refrence LE/e
3rd 6578 - Abnormal Error Occurred Object: CRetentionCategoryIdentityCache, Refrence RE(1)/e
4th 4167 - Exception been raised, internal reference .\ADODataAccess.cpp
5th 6621 - Exception has occurred Type CStoreAccessor::DeleteItem, Reference: /e Reason:Exception Occurred (0x80020009)
6th 6605 - Failed to process all expired items in Vault. Catastrophic Failure (0x8000ffff) Vault Name: Journal Archive for VAD0101_0002 Vault id: 16ECED759D7487B4A9051E64B137464961110000DMS
7th 6604 - Storage Expiry Report, no items deleted.

I examined the server this morning, and noticed that in the c:\program files\enterprisevault folder a lot of files were compressed. They showed blue in Windows Explorer. I figured this should not be done, so I uncompressed them all. I restarted the EV-services, then the tasks running on the server. I then kicked off Expiry. It ran for almost 2 hours, and than expired 555801 items, returning 5 GB of space. I'm back in business!

Questions remains:

For me: how did these files get compressed?

For Symantec: why is EV not handling windows compressed files correctly? I believe that if windows compresses files, it would uncompress them if they were needed?

Anyway, I am up and running again, and will post when I get an answer from Symantec. I could not find anything on the event-id's nor on compression. If there is such a doc/kb/blog, please let me know.

I thought I'd share this so others are alerted this might happen.

Regards,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I haven’t looked into this deeply just a quick browse, looks like we see the files as missing. But saying that we do not support windows compressed files. If you wish to use windows compressed files, then this is an enhancement. Please log it on the Enhancement Site. But I cannot see why anyone would want to do this as it would also slow down your performance drastically.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I haven’t looked into this deeply just a quick browse, looks like we see the files as missing. But saying that we do not support windows compressed files. If you wish to use windows compressed files, then this is an enhancement. Please log it on the Enhancement Site. But I cannot see why anyone would want to do this as it would also slow down your performance drastically.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I definitely do not want to use compressed files. Perhaps the enhancement should be better error logging, but that is it.

Thanks Wayne,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

"For me: how did these files get compressed?"

I'm sure you know this, but the only way this happened is if compression was enabled on the Volume (Windows will then automatically start compressing files to save space when you do this).

Perhaps someone wanted to free up some space on that drive and thought enabling compression was a good idea on the system volume?