Forum Discussion

Methos8
Level 4
17 years ago

Catalog Archiving in 6.5.1

I read this old topic
which said:

"If you archive a catalog, you have to track it manually. If you are going to try to restore a file from an image you know has been archived, you have to know what tape the archive is on and put those images back. NetBackup has no records what so ever of the archived images. It's as if you simply deleted them on your own."

Is this true in 6.5.1?

Can anyone share there experience with archiving their catalogs?  We have infinite retention full monthly backups and our catalog is over 200GB at the moment.

3 Replies

• Sorry I can't comment directly on catalog archiving - had a quick look at the documentation a few months back but decided not to use the catalog archiving feature at that point.

Instead, used the "Compress catalog interval" in Host Properties/Master Servers/<master server>/Global Attributes & set to 270 days. This reduced our catalog size from ~130Gb to ~100Gb. This has an impact on restores if restoring from >270days in that the images obviously get uncompressed for the restore (the 'image cleanup' process compresses them again when it next runs.)

Check out the Catalog Archiving section in the Admin Guide if you haven't already, esp. for commands bpcatlist, bpcatarc, bpcatres & bpcatrm.
  • Thanks for your comment.  I was actually advised by Symantec to think twice about compressing any of the catalog as there is a possibility of corruption.

• Methos8 wrote:
    Thanks for your comment.  I was actually advised by Symantec to think twice about compressing any of the catalog as there is a possibility of corruption.

Now there's some food for thought :smileysurprised: