Forum Discussion

barakdmax
Level 3
4 years ago

EMC NDMP Restore file to another location Netapp/Windows

Hi,

I have Netbackup 8.1.2 and i have a poilcies that i backuped emc(NDMP), our emc going to be poweroff and i need to able to restore the old backup data.

There is a away to restore emc(ndmp) to another location like Netapp(Also ndmp) or windows os ? 

The Netapp give me a error that he dosent support tar.

Your assistant

Thanks !

• hi barakdmax 

You cannot restore a EMC to a Netapp for that case onto any other vendors device. 

NDMP is not a data format, it is more a control protocol. Each vendor has it own NDMP data stream format. 

My recommendation is to keep the EMC around until all backup has expired.

Best Regards
    Nicolai

14 Replies

• barakdmax 

Unfortunately not possible. You can only restore back to the same NDMP vendor type. 
    This is due to differences in the NDMP protocol deployed by the various NAS/NDMP vendors.

See NBU for NDMP manual:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/24427212-127304472-0/id-SF940141104-127304472

The destination host must be an NDMP host compatible with the data format of the source. (The source and destination must be of the same NAS vendor type.)

My suggestion : 

Perform a Windows-type backup of CIFS path before the filer is powered off. 
    See this TN: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100023548

Your other option is to look for EMC simulator. 

barakdmax
      Level 3

First thanks !

I have another question

If i change the name for the Emc (NDMP) and i cant restore any more from the old backup.

There are any solution for that ? 

Marianne
        Level 6

Where are the tape drives connected to? To the NDMP host or regular media server? 

You will need to configure connection to the new name as if it's a new NDMP client. 

Once you have done that, run a small test backup to confirm that all is good. 

You should then be able to do an alternate client restore. 
        Select the original name as Source Client and the new name as Destination. 

If the NDMP host's tape drives were used, there are additional steps to redirect to the new name. 

• hi barakdmax 

You cannot restore a EMC to a Netapp for that case onto any other vendors device. 

NDMP is not a data format, it is more a control protocol. Each vendor has it own NDMP data stream format. 

My recommendation is to keep the EMC around until all backup has expired.

Best Regards
    Nicolai