Forum Discussion

puneet102
Level 4
6 years ago

NetBackup Best Practices for SLP

My network architecture of NetBackup server is as below:   My Backup Jobs are running with good speed but duplicatiion is running very slow speed. My quries are: What are th ebest practices? Is...
    Genericus
    6 years ago

1. Backup to data domain

2. Duplicate two copies to tape

SO - both at the same time? same destination tape library? same retention? same path?

There is a feature that allows you to make both copies at once. OR, you can immediately make one copy, then another later. This allows you to use either the DD or tape as source for the second copy - are you doing that? IMHO, I actually get better throughput from my DD then from tape. Plus tape to tape requires allocating two drives. Writing to both tapes at once means they HAVE to stay synchronized, so if one goes slow they BOTH go slow.

Do you have continous blocks of idle times with no backups? If so, schedule the SLP duplications then. 

We specifically overpowered our DD due to contention reading and writing at same time. DD are optimally designed for reading in data and deduplication. Writing to tape - not so much, although it CAN be done, because I do it.

I had three DD ( two 990 and a 7200 ) now combined into one dual head 9800, and it works great. I write to 18 LTO5 drives and get reasonable throughput. I have 10G and FC connections from media servers to DD, and FC from media server to tape. 

You may double check your networking if using 10G - I had some fun getting good speed.

I have multiple /usr/openv/var/global/nbcl.conf.XXX files, like nbcl.conf.032, nbcl.conf.256, and set up aliases and crontab processes to automatically run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpsetconfig like:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpsetconfig /usr/openv/var/global/nbcl.conf.032

This updates the SLP parameters, I have ones that update the scan time, and the sizes of MIN and MAX per job.

So:

# cat /usr/openv/var/global/nbcl.conf.032
    SLP.MIN_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 16 GB
    SLP.MAX_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 32 GB

# cat /usr/openv/var/global/nbcl.conf.short
    SLP.MIN_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 32 GB
    SLP.MAX_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 64 GB
    SLP.JOB_SUBMISSION_INTERVAL = 5 minutes
    SLP.IMAGE_PROCESSING_INTERVAL = 5 minutes
    SLP.IMAGE_EXTENDED_RETRY_PERIOD = 10 minutes
    SLP.MAX_TIME_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 2 minutes

# cat /usr/openv/var/global/nbcl.conf.big
    SLP.MIN_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 64 GB
    SLP.MAX_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 512 GB
    SLP.JOB_SUBMISSION_INTERVAL = 60 minutes
    SLP.IMAGE_PROCESSING_INTERVAL = 60 minutes
    SLP.IMAGE_EXTENDED_RETRY_PERIOD = 1 hour
    SLP.MAX_TIME_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 40 minutes

So I can micromange my SLP, I like to balance my SLP between media servers to tape, so I do not overload one.