Forum Discussion

jacksors
Level 4
16 years ago

SQL Client Restores don't log failure

I'm runing NetBackup 6.5.3 on a Windows platform. I'm using the MS SQL Client Agent to backup and restore SQL databass running SQL Server 2005. I wanted to test and make sure that I got alerted or could see a restore failure message if the restore attempt failed. I had an active connection to the database and then attempted a restore. SQL will not allow a restore with active DB connections, so the restore job was unsuccessful, however, NetBackup Activity monitor showed that the job completed successfully. The only place we've been able to find an error showing it did not work is in the windows event log on the sql server.

Can some one help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
  • bphdb and dbbackup are no longer used by versions beyond 4.5.
    Look in dbclient or <INSTALL_PATH>\veritas\netbackup\logs\user_ops\mssql\logs

2 Replies

• Not sure if you tried looking in NetBackup debug log?

mkdir <install_path>\NetBackup\logs\bphdb
    mkdir <install_path>\NetBackup\logs\dbbackup
    mkdir <install_path>\NetBackup\logs\bpcd
    mkdir <install_path>\NetBackup\logs\vnetd

Open Backup, Archive and Restore GUI, go to Files - NetBackup Client Properties - Troubleshooting, set all the debug level to maximum (click on the down-arrow once)

Now try the restore and make it fail, then look in the directories you created, you'll see debug log files there.

What you are looking for are lines containing <16> or <32> as severity - those are critical/error/failure messages.

Enjoy!

Abe

• bphdb and dbbackup are no longer used by versions beyond 4.5.
    Look in dbclient or <INSTALL_PATH>\veritas\netbackup\logs\user_ops\mssql\logs