Forum Discussion

JBiggins
Level 4
13 years ago

VMware backup host configuration

Netbackup 7.1 - Windows 2003

ESX vSphere 4.1

I plan on backing up a new VMware environment using the Netbackup VMware off host backup method. 

We already have a media server at this site with an LT04 tape library attached, however, it isn’t fibre connected to the same SAN as the ESX environment, so therefore can’t access the ESX datastores.

What I’d like to do is connect a new windows server to the ESX SAN that would act as the VMware backup host, which would then forward the backup data onto the media server via the network. (I decided against using a VMware guest as the VMware backup host)

Is this setup correct?  In other configurations, at other sites, the media server has been the VMware backup host, so I’d like to ensure this config is correct 

Also with this particular setup, I want to confirm that I only need to install the Netbackup client software on the VMware backup host and not the full server software?

Licensing wise and please correct me If I’m wrong, I’m pretty sure I require an Enterprise client licence for each ESX host, and a Netbackup client licence for the VMware backup host.

Thanks

JB

• As you wrote, If there are no need to write data directly from VMware Backup host to storage attached to it, it is enough to install NetBackup Client software into VMware Backup Host.
    You can use this host with Standard Client license.

4 Replies

• You rightly understand what you want to, what you need to in your environment.
    VMware Backup Host does not need to be media server. If you allow to tranfer data via netwok, VMware Backup Host on Windwos client is reasonable option.

• So that I understand exactly, the VMware backup host can just be a Netbackup client, with client software installed and licensed as a Netbackup client (Not forgetting an Enterprise client license for each ESX host)?

Thanks

JB

• As you wrote, If there are no need to write data directly from VMware Backup host to storage attached to it, it is enough to install NetBackup Client software into VMware Backup Host.
    You can use this host with Standard Client license.