Forum Discussion

Sandra4Bck
Level 3
3 months ago

Appliance 5240 re-imaged as primary server failed

Hello,

I have a veritas appliance (no flex) 5240. It was a media server but it already decomissioned and I want to re-use it as primary server.

I launched a "factory reset" and installed the ISO "NetBackup_Appliance_5.3_ML.iso" successfully. I configured the network and the name properly but when I launch the command "Main_Menu > Appliance > Primary" fails with this error:

"Unable to configure the appliance as a primary server. This appliance was configured as a media serer with the preserved storage. Re-image the appliance again and configure it as a media server to reuse the preserved storage"

I can't reset the storage because I don't see any option in the menu.

Does someone any clue? Thanks in advance.  

7 Replies

• you have to reset the storage before re-image the appliance.

Do

• Main_Menu > Support > FactoryReset  (you can select to reset the storage at the same time)
    • Main_Menu > Support > Storage Reset  (do it if you had not select storage reset with factory reset or do it anyway)
    • re-image the appliance

After re-image, use the appliance webUI to configure the appliance as a master server. You can do it from CLISH but WEBUI is easier

Sandra4Bck
      Level 3

Hello StefanosM. Thanks but:

• Main_Menu > Support > FactoryReset  (you can select to reset the storage at the same time)

I did it but the storage wasn't reset. That option didn't appear in the process, even if I lauched "FactoryReset All"

• Main_Menu > Support > Storage Reset 

This option doesn't appears. 

• hmmm, you have mentioned that you have tried to reset it via ISO, but it did not work.isn't that suppose to reset everything.we had a netbackup appliance and I have installed Flex on top of it and it worked like a charm.
    what is the option do you get when you try to boot via ISO?
    what is the version of the platform on top of the appliance currently?

Sandra4Bck
      Level 3

Hello, the option selected when I rebooted the appliance with the ISO mounted in the CD-ROM is (if I remeber well) "install OS advanced for appliance". I'm trying to install the version 5.3.

I can't reinstall the appliance like a Flex because in the contract with veritas this appliance is standard and to changed it as Flex their authorization is needed. 

I think the appliance's role can't be changed without the Veritas' support. 

• 5250 was mine and It was done without any issue, you can check with veritas sales /presales team.

did you check if the storage reset was there anywhere else, maybe under manage for example.