Forum Discussion

saberman
Level 4
14 years ago

B2D Duplicate -- Catalog query for next media failed.

WIndows XP SP3 with all security patches
Backup Exect Version 9.1 Rev 4691 with all patches

I am in the process of moving all of my tape archives to Blu-Ray discs.The process I use to initially move the backups to disk is:
1. Inventory the tapes containing one month's backups
2. Catalog the tapes
3. Setup a B2D device for that month
4. Run a duplicate job to copy the backups from the tapes to the B2D device.
5. Move the tape media to retired
6. Delete the tape media
Steps 1-6 are repeated for each month of the year.

The process I use to consodate the B2D backups from twelve devices to one is:
1. Setup a B2D device for the year.
2. Run a duplicate job to copy the backups form the twelve monthly B2D devices to the B2D device for the year.

Finally, I run a duplicate job to copy the backups from the annual B2D device to a demountable device (Blu-Ray dual layer burner).

I did that for two years worth of backups with minimal problems (some backup sets were not readable from the tape).

I got to the consolidation step for year three and am getting constant errors: Catalog query for next media failed.

This occurs almost everytime there is a switch in the source B2D media file.  I then go into job setup and remove the checkmarks from the backup sets that were successfully copied and submit the job.  It processes the backup sets on the first media file and then throws the error for the next one.

I ran a Media Set report and all of the media files for the month being processed are there and listed as being in the correct B2D device.

I tried to catalog the media for the month I am trying to copy and each job completed successfully but showed 0 bytes cataloged.

I have tried rebooting in the hope that some catalog maintainence is done at startup but that didn't help,

The duplicate job completion status has: 

Job ended: Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 6:35:34 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error

Final error category: Other Errors

The errors section has:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Catalog query for next media failed.

I cannot find any catalog maintainence tools.  Is there someway to rebuild the catalog without having to recatalog each media file?  I took the default on the size of the B2D media files of 1GB and the year has a few hundred each of which would have to be individually cataloged.

Finally, please do not respond with a recommendation to go to a current version of Backup Exec.  The 9.1 release is the crossover release that supports both my legacy tape drive and B2D.  I cannot upgrade until I have completed moving all of my archive backups.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

• Remove Use Storage-Media Based catalogs checkbox.

Also uncheck Request All media in the sequence for catalog operation.

Try the duplicate jobs after making the above changes and see if that helps...

Regards...

4 Replies

• Hi,

Have you referred this TN?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38727

Regards...

• I think you missed this in the TN:
    There are two ways to create a duplicate backup job:

1. Duplicate backup data with the option to duplicate existing backup sets.
    2. Duplicate (Automatic) backup sets immediately following a scheduled backup job.

This issue only affects the second option that is "Duplicate (Automatic) backup sets immediately following a scheduled backup job".

I am doing the first one not the second one.  The TN does not apply to my problem.

I had seen the TN a while ago and while it does not seem to apply I checked the registery setting and it was already set to 1.

• Remove Use Storage-Media Based catalogs checkbox.

Also uncheck Request All media in the sequence for catalog operation.

Try the duplicate jobs after making the above changes and see if that helps...

Regards...

• >Remove Use Storage-Media Based catalogs checkbox
    I unchecked it although I don't understand how it affects a duplicate job where the media has to be already cataloged.  I thought this only applied when you ran a catalog job.  But it seems to have cured the problem.

>uncheck Request All media in the sequence for catalog operation
    I cannot find this option.  Is it in 9.1?  If so where?