Forum Discussion

15 years ago

Backup Exec *.dr Files - When are they updated, and is there enough point to them?

Hi all, when reading about the IDR option I noticed that the *.dr files are only updated when an entire backup of the server is done, without any exclusions - does this eman I am forced to backup absolutely everything, on all partitions, before the *.dr file is updated? Is it not only enough to backup the entire C: drive? The reason I ask is because when looking in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Data I've noticed that the *.dr file for the server in question is being updated (according to the date modified) after every backup, even though we don't backup any full partitions at all currently, not even C: - all we back up are fragments of D: and F:, the system state, the exchange info store, all SQL DB's, the utility partition and the shadow copy components.

Ultimately what I'd love is to have a tape containing the entire C: drive, and just the important areas of all other partitions, and the other obvious important parts such as system state etc, and be able to restore this tape using IDR. I'd probably perform this backup job weekly, so our current weekly backup would jsut be extended to include the C: drive, and on Monday I'd come in and copy the *.dr files to a USB stick and move offsite.

One other question - I'm surprised at the fact you have to manually copy *.dr files onto a removable drive every single time a full backup is completed - this seems like a lot of legwork, it almost seems pointless as from what I can tell the only benefit to having the dr files is that you have an up-to-date list of backup catalog's, and the alternative is that you simply manually select the tape to restore from - is it not much easier to forego copying to dr files and just put up with having to manually choose the backup set to restore? Is there any alternative that the dr file brings?

Any suggestions on peoples own disaster recovery stratergies or experiances would be very welcome indeed :)

thanks guys
  • I had a fuller explanation internally that explains it better:
    A .DR file gets updated in the following scenarios:

1. After every full backup of the following resources

a. NTFS volumes

b. Utility Partitions

c. Shadow Copy Components

d. System State

Note that you can select the above resources at the volume level in the Backup Exec UI and you can still exclude some of the files and folders underneath the selection, that you think are not critical for a disaster recovery scenario, and the .DR file will still be updated considering the set as a 'DR compatible set'.

2. After every Incremental or differential backup of the above resources. Again selection should be done at the volume level and not on a individual file or folder level.

Note that allowing the exclusion of certain files & folders from underneath the volume level selection and still considering the backup set as a 'DR compatible set' can be configured using the registry key (also discussed in http://support.veritas.com/docs/274187)

'DR Update Allow Excludes' REG_DWORD    1

under  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\IDR" ( by default exclusions are allowed ).

You can perform a full backup of your critical volumes (boot and system volumes & Active Directory database related volumes) to create the .DR file and can keep updating the .DR file with incrementals later. You should have performed atleast one full backup of the volume though.

Regarding bootable tape, the .DR file is not included in the tape image since the tape image has to be written first to the tape (so that it can boot) as part of the backup. Meaning by the time the backup job completes the tape image has already been written making the .DR file inside the tape image obsolete. This is the reason the .DR file has to be provided from another medium ( either through floppy/USB media or through network ) during a bootable tape based IDR.

13 Replies