Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec 2010 Error: V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State"

Hi there

I am running Backup Exec 2010R3 with all Liveupdates installed on a Server 2008 64-bit.

The backup seems to successfully run through all the data (over 500GB), and then fail on system state. The full message is:-

---------------------
Backup
V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.
---------------------

I found an article that seems to describe a fix for this problem:- http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136185

Unfortunately, when I get to step 6 I am not sure what to do next:-

1. Download/apply the Related Patch of the above document 980794 from Microsoft and reboot the Server.

2. Open registry editor on the server.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system
from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows
registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the
use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the
registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemWriter

NOTE: If this registry subkey does not exist, please create it manually.

4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.

5. Type ExcludedBinaryPaths, and then press ENTER.

6. Right-click ExcludedBinaryPaths, and then click Modify.
 In the Value data box, type all binary paths that should be excluded from the system state backup operation, and then click OK.

NOTE: The binary paths should be absolute paths. They should not include environment variables (such as %windir%) and should not be enclosed in double or single quoation marks.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

8. Run the backup job again.

Where do I find the information to enter into this multi-string value?

Thanks

• Found this article: TECH129238.

Describes how to use SGMON.EXE to debug what is going wrong.

Modified backup so it was only doing System State. Ran SGMON.EXE, saving output to a file, then ran the modified backup.

Once the backup failed, searched output file for VOLUME_NOT_FOUND. It told me what the problem application was (PaperCut Print Logger) that was causing the failure. Uninstalled the application, then System State backup worked fine. Reverted backup selection to everything.

3 Replies

• Hi Jaydeep

The entries in the log are:-

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
    The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
    The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .

Does this mean I should put "C:" in the multi-string value? Will that mean any vital system components are not backed up?

I had a look at the two articles you mentioned, but neither of them seemed to be the same issue.

Thanks

• Found this article: TECH129238.

Describes how to use SGMON.EXE to debug what is going wrong.

Modified backup so it was only doing System State. Ran SGMON.EXE, saving output to a file, then ran the modified backup.

Once the backup failed, searched output file for VOLUME_NOT_FOUND. It told me what the problem application was (PaperCut Print Logger) that was causing the failure. Uninstalled the application, then System State backup worked fine. Reverted backup selection to everything.