Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 Offlining HP Tape Drive Randomly

Hi All. First post here and I am really, really hoping for some help.

I am working on an environment that appears to have the fairly common problem of Backup Exec offlining an HP Autoloader at seemingly random times. Now, three weeks ago another tech fixed this issue by disabling 4 recommended HP services and it worked fine. The other night, the issue re-appeared despite nothing having changed - wierd.

Here is the setup:

Server 2K8R2 BE 2012 SP1
HP Ultrium1760 DRV tape device
HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader
HP P212 SaS controller

Here is the (compehensive) list of things I / we have tried to no avail:

1 - Replaced all hardware at a very early stage of the problem (has been ongoing for months now)
2 - Ensured Backup Exec's own drivers are being used for the device
3 - Set DB Maintenance to run way outside of the backup routine
4 - Un-installed and re-installed tape drive + autoloader
5 - Disable HP services as recommended by Symantec
6 - Attempt to backup to disk - this works
7 - Opened 3 seperate cases with Symantec, none of which fully resolved the issue as it re-occured
8 - Checked the ADAMM.log file and found this error just before the device offlined: 

[4608] 08/02/12 01:15:04.389 DeviceIo: 04:07:00:00 - Device error 1167 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 4d, 1 total errors
[4608] 08/02/12 01:15:13.063 PvlDrive::DisableAccess() - ReserveDevice failed, offline device
Drive = 1033 "Tape drive 0001"
ERROR = 0x0000001F (ERROR_GEN_FAILURE)

9 - Tried running SGMON with Verbose devices and media logging enabled - this didnt go well. The device didnt error but none of the backup jobs completed.

The only thing I think we havent tried is running tracer.exe after seeing the device go offline. 

I read in Symantecs documentation that they don't support SaS controllers with RAID enabled, the P212 is one of those controllers. However, in the same document there was a list of tested controllers and the P212 is on that list, so I'd be a little cheesed if Symantec said it was a compatibility problem despite having a document that says it should work.

Ive also checked all the usuale places (event log, BE job / device logs etc) for more info and there really isnt much to go on. HP's testing tools always come back with passes when run, Im 99% sure that this isnt a hardware issue but have nowhere left to go with it.

Could someone please help me out? 

P.S. just as an FYI - this Backup Exec instance came from an upgrade of 2010, it wasnt a brand new install.. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• Hi All,

Sorry to drag this up from the grave. Also, sorry for not responding. The notification of replies started going into my junk for some reason!

Okay so I never did get the issue resolved on the existing hardware, in the end we ended up with HP diagnosing a "low level hardware issue". We shipped the customer an old server, whacked a new P212 RAID controller into it and connected the library up to it. So far, so good. It's been working for over a month now.

Seems the most likely cause of these SCSI reservation errors is as HP say, a low level hardware issue.

Thanks,

Matt.

31 Replies