Forum Discussion

today
Level 4
11 years ago

Backup Exec 2014 - How do you install the Agent for Hyper-V on a Hyper-V Host?

On page 863 of the BE 2014 admin manual PDF, the "Requirements for using the Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V" are listed.  One of the requirements is that this Hyper-V agent be installed on each Hyper-V host.  However, I don't see a way to do that.  I can't find it on the ISO and I can't see how to do it using push.  I have backups running on a couple Hyper-V hosts and they only have the RAWS client installed on these hosts.

Is this just old information from a previous version?

• Agent for Hyper-V refers to the capability to backup Hyper-V VM's. This capability is built into every remote agent which you push out to remote servers. There is no specific Agent for Hyper-V. To activate the Hyper-V agent capability, you need to install the necessary Hyper-V licenses on the media server. What the Admin Guide I'd trying to say is 1. Install 1 Hyper-V agent license for each Hyper-V host on the media server. 2. Push out the remote agent to the Hyper-V host. You can then backup the VM's on this Hyper-V host as VM's

5 Replies

• As per the requirement you need to install RAWS on the Hyper V server and Agent for Hyper V

license on the Backup Exec media server. Refer to the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23070

EDIT: Also read About installing the Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V on Pg#864 of Admin guide

• Agent for Hyper-V refers to the capability to backup Hyper-V VM's. This capability is built into every remote agent which you push out to remote servers. There is no specific Agent for Hyper-V. To activate the Hyper-V agent capability, you need to install the necessary Hyper-V licenses on the media server. What the Admin Guide I'd trying to say is 1. Install 1 Hyper-V agent license for each Hyper-V host on the media server. 2. Push out the remote agent to the Hyper-V host. You can then backup the VM's on this Hyper-V host as VM's
  • Thank you for your reply.  That's what I figured, but I'm having problems with my incremental Hyper-V backups, so I needed to request clarity on the issue.

My confusion came from the online technotes and the admin guide, which both heavily imply that there is a separate piece of software called "Hyper-V Agent" that needs to be installed.  Good to know that is not the case and my problem lies elsewhere.

• Over the years, this has always been the source of confusion and has caused many a users to look for a physical agent when it is the capability of the agent that is being referred to.